HP1 drivers in an RS-1 like enclosure? mixing grado driver / enclosures
Jul 11, 2006 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

heymaceo

100+ Head-Fier
Reading through a post here about how someone put PS-1 drivers in an HHF-1 enclosure has got me thinking about mixing and matching Grado drivers and enclosures. So I'm wondering about the following:

I think I saw somewhere that someone here has an RS-1 enclosure with HP-1000 drivers in it? Anyone seen such a beast? If so, I'd be very curious as to how it sounded - can anyone provide an offhand review of that?

Also, what about the PS-1 drivers in an RS-1 enclosure or in an HP-1000 enclsoure. Anyone heard such a thing?

Finally, given that the HP-1000 drivers are no longer supported by Grado, has anyone had any experience using burned about HP-1000 enclosures and popping in other grado drivers?

Always interested in the frankenphones...

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 19
Yes, give JPelg a PM about his old HP1000 can with RS-1 drivers in them. They were interesting, since they actually were covered by a factory warranty.

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Yes, give JPelg a PM about his old HP1000 can with RS-1 drivers in them. They were interesting, since they actually were covered by a factory warranty.

I have seen several instances of this working in this regard, where the RS-1 drivers are placed into HP-1's.

However..from experience--
( it is very risky buying HP-1's if you do not know the seller or what to look for in the enclosures of these metal beasts..as some shady sellers will replace the drivers with some other can and retain the HP-1 drivers for themselves)

An audiophile friend was nice enough to show me a few ways to determine on the old Joseph Grado if in fact the original drivers are used or if they were tampered with/i.e. replaced...

To your question, I have not heard/seen this done the other way around.. The drivers on the HP-1/2/3 require room to breath, and the RS-1 enclosure is too close in size to the HP series to make this an effective mod maybe... the Sony CD3000 and r10 I have heard with this mod done, and they are very interesting...although ironically I have not heard the r10 stock yet...only the modded model.

I would like to hear the RS-1 enclosure with the HP-1 driver, this goes double for the BDGS1 too, as those may be really really sick..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 19
Just to let you know, I had SR200s with HP1000 installed by the factory - consider it an HP1000 driver in a SR60/80/125/225/MS-1 enclosure. Result? Zero soundstage, a bit congested, but still has that magic of sounding "real." Pretty darn impressive coming out of those thin plastic housings.

For the record, I'd love to hear HP-1000s out of a wood enclosure too.

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 19
"it is very risky buying HP-1's if you do not know the seller or what to look for in the enclosures of these metal beasts..as some shady sellers will replace the drivers with some other can and retain the HP-1 drivers for themselves"

Ah yeah? Seems like a lot of work for a pair of drivers that are virtually useless without the headphone.

You must deal with some interesting people?

Mitch

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
... the Sony CD3000 and r10 I have heard with this mod done, and they are very interesting...although ironically I have not heard the r10 stock yet...only the modded model.

no one has cannabilized their r10s to put in hp1000 drivers. If this has been done, this person needs to be punished. you are probablly talking about larry's woodied custom phones which use cd3k shells. he does not mod r10s, no one has ever posted on this forum about butchering r10s.

edit in:

I have never heard of any case of someone purchasing hp1000's and getting robbed with different drivers. when has this happened?

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 19
I'm putting HP1000 drivers into my GS1000 shortly as I've been wanting to try them in wood for a long while. The GS1000 drivers are already mounted into their Coco home and waiting assembly
tongue.gif

gswap.jpg

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Just to let you know, I had SR200s with HP1000 installed by the factory - consider it an HP1000 driver in a SR60/80/125/225/MS-1 enclosure. Result? Zero soundstage, a bit congested, but still has that magic of sounding "real." Pretty darn impressive coming out of those thin plastic housings.

For the record, I'd love to hear HP-1000s out of a wood enclosure too.

This is exactly what I'm talking about - given that the plastic SR enclosure really handicaps the highly regarded HP1000 drivers, it says a lot about how Grado headphones are a combination of the enclosure and the driver.

Jahn - did you ever consider taking the HP1000 drivers out of the SR200 and putting them in something else? Or was it just easier to find an HP2? This sort of stuff makes me wonder what a HP1000 driver + PS-1 enclosure would sound like, or a PS-1 driver + HP1000 enclosure.

Anyone know where I can get an HP1000 enlosure without drivers (rescuing the enclosure when the drivers have failed)? I'd love to experiment with this enclosure which is known for its bulletproof build quality.

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
I'm putting HP1000 drivers into my GS1000 shortly as I've been wanting to try them in wood for a long while. The GS1000 drivers are already mounted into their Coco home and waiting assembly
tongue.gif

gswap.jpg

That looks NICE. Did you have a Coco home built to similar dimensions as the original GS1000s? I'm curious as to how different this sounds than what they were originally in (the Grado mahogany enclosures).

I suppose that if the Coco housing is dimensionally similar to the GS1000, you could have just put the HP1000 drivers in those instead.

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 19
Interesting picture. So it seems like the wooden part that flares outward (giving the GS-1000 its mushroom shape) is just "added on"? i.e. it's like a RS-1 shape but you add some extra wood that flares out?

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
tongue.gif

gswap.jpg

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
How did you get the driver and glue apart without destroying them? That looks like an MS2 headband, maybe the huge earcups just make it look smaller.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Magic! And a small team of dwarves working 'round the clock. How else do you think Larry can get so much done?
biggrin.gif

I always suspected... <_<

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Magic! And a small team of dwarves working 'round the clock. How else do you think Larry can get so much done?
biggrin.gif

Yes!!

Larry, O-master of DIY do tell us...
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Feel freeto disregard this if its proprietary info
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 19
Well, I own some PS-1 enclosures with HP-2 drivers installed. The result is a different flavored HP-2. It is neutral with just a tad more bass. From what people have told me - about 50% prefer the original HP-2 while the other prefer the PS-1000. Go figure.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back