HP TouchPad
Aug 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

leftnose

1000+ Head-Fier
So did anyone else jump on the $99 fire sale? I'm using mine right now. Definitely worth the greatly reduced price but there are some glaring UI issues. There are no navigation arrows to move around in text boxes with precision and, sometimes, the screen will jump when filling out a form so the keyboard will cover the field.

Let's hope HP keeps its promise and continues development of webOS.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
So did anyone else jump on the $99 fire sale? I'm using mine right now. Definitely worth the greatly reduced price but there are some glaring UI issues. There are no navigation arrows to move around in text boxes with precision and, sometimes, the screen will jump when filling out a form so the keyboard will cover the field.

Let's hope HP keeps its promise and continues development of webOS.

lollery, waiting for mine from hp

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 22
Bought one from bb.com mostly to play with then give it to my brother when i get bored of it. I think HP stumbled on the one way to really compete with Apple and their army. Come out with a good touchpad and sell it for 1/5th the price. If HP bosses had a single brain cell in their heads they would capitalize on having the hottest gadget and selling 700k+ in one weekend...almost Apple fever there...well 1/10 of it. Even if they took a loss on each one in the long run they could really use this to a make money and make ground in tablets in the long run.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 22
I thought about it. I want an ereader and a $100 tablet would have fit the bill, for sure. However, the few times I looked I couldn't find one and I wasn't that interested.

Yes, the hardware is being discontinued. However, it's a web-based OS. The concept is that it easily integrates with web apps. Second, there are already multiple people talking about patching it for Android. That makes it a $99 Android tablet. Sure, it's not the greatest hardware but it's not the worst by any means.

I've said it elsewhere but it bears repeating: WebOS is a great OS. It's never been the problem. It's just never had the money behind it or a company competent enough to give it good hardware. Want proof? Anyone hear what happened when they installed WebOS on an iPad? It out-performed iOS, which is impressive because as far as mobile operating systems go iOS is one snappy best. Then there's the fact that it does have that very, very strong grounding in open source web technologies. That makes it a breeze for app development and web integration, which is where such a device REALLY shines.

But yes, HP says they're going to continue developing the platform but more likely they're going to slowly let what I still think was the greatest possible competition for iOS just die.

Pity.

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 22
The other issue with the TouchPad (mine, at least) is the build quality. It just isn't there compared to Apple. The bezel on mine is loose and squeaky right where you would hold it with your left hand in portrait mode. If this were a new iPad, I would return it for an exchange. As it is, in portrait mode, I just hold it "upside down."

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
The other issue with the TouchPad (mine, at least) is the build quality. It just isn't there compared to Apple. The bezel on mine is loose and squeaky right where you would hold it with your left hand in portrait mode. If this were a new iPad, I would return it for an exchange. As it is, in portrait mode, I just hold it "upside down."

I think you just saved me from getting one. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
I think you just saved me from getting one. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I think you just were unlucky, i had some pretty crappy expriences with apply refurb models

Quote:

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 22
I've got one on the way (hopefully). This deal was far too good for the tech nerd in me to pass up.

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 22
Yeah, I spent an hour or so looking around the web, trying to figure out where I could buy one from. No luck. If I see the deal come up and can purchase it I'll definitely go for it.

That's my way of saying if anyone sees where to get one from or gets one and doesn't want it let me know and we can come to an arrangement.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 22
WebOS is said to be the greatest competition to iOS, I mean yeah there is little app selection and almost no support as of the future we know..but...

But Why would anyone want Android on it? IT is like buying a Ferrari and replacing the engine from one from a Moped. I mean Android has come along way and yes it is going good and all but it still is a mess of a OS today, more like a messy bunch of stolen ideas from other companies not put together all that well. WebOS has lots or great orignal ideas to it, lots of them i wish made it to iOS. The main complaint for the TouchPad is the hardware not the OS, why would you root the device to take the one good thing away?...makes no sense.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 22
To me, if you're getting a Touchpad, it should be for WebOS. Putting Android on it just seems wrong to me.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 22
WebOS is proof that being better than your competition doesn't mean you'll actually beat them. WebOS is infinitely better than Android, WP7 or RIM's pathetic attempts at an OS and arguably equal to iOS. And yet... It's going to die. Which is too bad because, as I said, it's a fantastic OS.

I also stand by my earlier statements, if anyone finds somewhere still selling one let me know. :D

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
WebOS is proof that being better than your competition doesn't mean you'll actually beat them. WebOS is infinitely better than Android, WP7 or RIM's pathetic attempts at an OS and arguably equal to iOS. And yet... It's going to die. Which is too bad because, as I said, it's a fantastic OS.

I also stand by my earlier statements, if anyone finds somewhere still selling one let me know. :D

dough, have hope... talked with a friend working at bestbuy today, his opinion on beats (they're ****), ipads, mac, and the touchpad, he told me bestbuys getting more stock on wednesday/thursday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back