HP ipod comeing to Wal-Mart
Apr 19, 2005 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

y0da

100+ Head-Fier
So i was in wal-mart last night and i saw a big display that said the hp ipod was comeing to wal-mart

i knew the shuffle was sold there but the ipod seems like a strange fit

looks like the trend is about to come to the great unwashed masses

has anyone else noticed this

forgive me if this is old news

Apr 19, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 22
This is an example of why Apple agreed to let HP distribute the iPod. HP has a much larger distribution channel than Apple. As a result, HP can convince places like walmart to carry the iPod under the HP brand name.

Apr 20, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 22
But just like it bombed at radioshacks, it will probably bomb there too. Something about the hp logo not being as cool looking or aesthetically pleasing as the Apple Logo. That and people thinking its a rippof. Basicly, all this does is make the iPod more popular at HP's expense.

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 22
yep, just showing that the name is far more important than the product. it's actually really amusing that the ipod can't even beat the ipod. i wonder if they started selling white slabs of plastic with white headphones and called it the ipod, if people would even notice.

Apr 20, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostic
But just like it bombed at radioshacks, it will probably bomb there too. Something about the hp logo not being as cool looking or aesthetically pleasing as the Apple Logo. That and people thinking its a rippof. Basicly, all this does is make the iPod more popular at HP's expense.

the ipod didnt do well at radioshack? evidence?

Apr 20, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes

nothing sells that well at rat shack. they just sell a butt load of all sorts of things.

Apr 20, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
nothing sells that well at rat shack. they just sell a butt load of all sorts of things.

and unfortunately they are the only convenient b&m retailers that sell certain parts...arg.

Quote:

to quote a PSP ad a friend of mine saw regarding ipods, "even your grandma has one" =)

Apr 20, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by y0da

Mouth breathers of the world unite...now they too can participate in all this technology without having a Internet at their house...now where does the cassette go into this thing?
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
yep, just showing that the name is far more important than the product. it's actually really amusing that the ipod can't even beat the ipod. i wonder if they started selling white slabs of plastic with white headphones and called it the ipod, if people would even notice.

seems that way, try wearing just the white earbuds with nothing connected and test the reaction
k1000smile.gif
I've done it and it's kinda proves your point.

M

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 22
Newsflash jackasses-

Not everyone who shops at Wal Mart is a dirty, low tech, backwards hobo.

If I can save a few bucks buying toothpaste, shampoo and all that type of stuff there- I'm all for it. No need to look down on me.

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes

I worked their for about a 3/4 of a year after they released the Apple iPod + Hp. Only 7 sales of the 20 piece stock in that time. The christmas season is included in that time. Over all for the area, 29 pieces were sold, in a 10 store area. Granted some towns had two stores, but there where 3 high traffic stores.

Plus, like it has been said, it is rat shack. Its just pragmatism that keeps radio shack around. If there was a fry's around here, RS would probably close 5 of the stores.

Apr 20, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostic

Hmmm... maybe that's why I don't see the HP Ipods at Radioshack anymore.

Apr 20, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
HP Ipod. & the point is.....

HP wanted in on Apple's money making machine. Apple knew they would get promotion and profits at no expense to themselves.

Apr 20, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 22
The HP-iPod is also available at Costco stores coast to coast and online at www.costco.com

But we Costco shoppers are a very special breed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back