HP-DX1000
Jul 25, 2005 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
another one of those rare threads started by me.
smily_headphones1.gif

since I figure there's at least a few people drooling over the new JVC headphones that at the moment are only available in Japan, I figured that I should enhance the drooling experience by providing a few stills.

first off, this is what you see when you open the box:
10639PICT00801-med.JPG

pretty good presentation with a soft cloth to cushion the headphones and a metal plate with the headphone's model number inscribed. the headphone cable's actually stored under the whole cloth thing and out of sight when you first open it. the box itself is cardboard so given the price I think they could have done a bit better, but still not too bad.

side shot of the HP-DX1000:
10639PICT0083111-med.JPG

goes well with other woodies:
10639PICT008411-med.JPG

I have more than that of course, but the rest is in the states and not with me here in Tokyo. the above also happens to be the test rig I'll use to listen to the cans for now....

close-ups of the HP-DX1000:
10639PICT01091-med.JPG

10639PICT01071-med.JPG

10639PICT01081-med.JPG

10639PICT01041-med.JPG

10639PICT01051-med.JPG

10639PICT01061-med.JPG

10639PICT009311-med.JPG

10639PICT00981-med.JPG

10639PICT0101-med.JPG

let's take a look inside the pad:
10639PICT009911-med.JPG

pretty interesting construction:
10639PICT01001-med.JPG

the deflector shield!! (or rather the Acoustic Lens):
10639PICT008911-med.JPG

10639PICT008611-med.JPG

10639PICT00871-med.JPG

10639PICT00881-med.JPG

oh, and who can forget the plug:
10639PICT01101-med.JPG

10639PICT01111-med.JPG

that's it for now.
biggrin.gif

all the photos are in this album btw.
http://photo.head-fi.org/showgallery.php?cat=590

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 22
Never - ever - have I seen a better looking plug in all my life.
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Never - ever - have I seen a better looking plug in all my life.
eek.gif
tongue.gif

here's a pic of the plugs on a few other headphones I have. pretty old picture so it doesn't have the HP-DX1000 I just got, and apparently doesn't have the HE90 and other headphone plugs in there either.

IMO I really like the L3000 plug (the silver one). the JVC plug isn't bad at all though.

10639connectors_3-med.jpg

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 22
Heh, why am I not surprised you picked one up.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Looks good IMO.

So what is that acoustic lens business anyway? I had read about it on the webpage. Just some jingo for just another design element or something meaningful?

Best,

-Jason

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Heh, why am I not surprised you picked one up.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Looks good IMO.

Wayne forced me to do it. really.
rolleyes.gif

well, the headphone does have a good sound and the build is well done so I didn't see a reason not to get it. besides, I have this thing for woodies.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
So what is that acoustic lens business anyway? I had read about it on the webpage. Just some jingo for just another design element or something meaningful?

you're guess is as good as mine. other than what they say on their website and from the pictures I took, I really don't have much info about them.

I think what I am thinking is the unique sound of this headphone has a lot to do with this Acoustic Lens thing though. what I am hearing corrolates with how I would assume such a design element would alter the sound, and also with the feature description page on JVC's website....

I would like to hear it without the lens thing so I can make a comparison, but I think it is part of the cup and cannot be removed easily. I doubt cutting up a $1000 headphone for experimentation is a wise thing to do.
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
So what do you think of the sound so far. Is it up there with the l3000 ?

I had a chance to compare the DX1000 to the L3000 yesterday and I think I can reasonably say the 250,000 yen MSRP ATH-L3000 doesn't have to fear much competition from the 120,000 yen MSRP HP-DX1000. (both were brand new pairs so hopefully that created an equal field... though maybe one changes more drastically with burn-in, which has yet to be seen.) the third photo in the first post is what I used and will use as a comparison platform. I don't have that L3000 anymore, but hopefully I'll get a pair here again soon.

the difference in price between the two is pretty large (though the build of the L3000 and its use of parts that seem pretty silly on a headphone such as the Connolly leather definitely contributes to this discrepancy) so this result isn't that unexpected I guess.

I do like the sound though. very unique IMO. maybe technically the L3000 is better, but the DX1000 has many qualities that make it a good headphone. might be great for casual listening or relaxation.

but anyways, I haven't had much of a listen with it yet and besides, it's only been a day since I got it. pretty busy you know.
wink.gif
taking pictures of the DX1000... sleeping... watching TV... worrying about the typhoon that's approaching fast...
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 22
ayt999,
thanks for the impressions. In terms of confort, how do they compare to the L3000s (are they heavy? the appear so) Thanks.

Edit: water and leather don't match well.... so stay dry!! and keep safe
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi
ayt999,
thanks for the impressions.

I posted impressions? nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

guess I'll stop trying to think of stuff to say and be lazy.
biggrin.gif

time to get back to listening to the DX1000 I guess.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi
In terms of confort, how do they compare to the L3000s (are they heavy? the appear so)

they are not heavy. the DX1000 and L3000 are 380 grams each (excluding the cord and plug) according to their respective data sheets.

the DX1000 really has thick pads (if you cannot see from the pictures already) and are really supple so are comfortable. might get a bit hot with some extended use though? haven't noticed that yet, but it looks like it can.

I think the DX1000 is more comfortable than the L3000, but really, both are very comfortable so I doubt it matters much.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 22
Woodies whatever, I'm not sure I want to roam around with a tree on my head. I think the L3000s look much nicer. I can't say anything about the sonics though having never heard them but they would need to sound much better than the L3000s to really be the new bargain FOTMs.(IMHO)

Jul 26, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 22
what's this about costly headphones being bargain FOTM's?
confused.gif

and I thought I already said that the L3000 sounded better, to me at least.

anyways, here are some more comparisons with the L3000.
(probably not the best since IMO they are in different classes, and the L3000 isn't that well known so isn't a good standard, but I'm working with a limited selection here)

DX1000:
-decent soundstage. better than the L3000, but probably not at the level of some of the high end cans. seems to be doing a good job with imaging and positioning.
-very smooth sound and pretty mellow IMO. has a polite sound if I may say.
highs blend in with the rest of the frequency and are easy to listen to. might be a bit recessed, but nothing major. this adds to its smooth sound IMO.
-speed is decent. not as fast as the L3000, but the notes are still well defined. just a slight extension on the decays. follows with the mellow sound....
-good bass. not a bassy can, but it has plenty of bass and extension that I don't think it is deficient. just the right amount to complement the rest of its sound.
-slightly darker sound than the L3000. the L3000 is pretty neutral IMO though, and not a dark can, so in general the DX1000 might still be fairly neutral.
-might also be hearing some uniqueness to the sound offered by that Acoustic Lens deal. despite hearing a wide soundstage, some stuff is definitely right by the ears and intimate. seems like the midrange (vocals) is more apparent and closer while the lows and highs occupy a larger soundstage and are further away.
-in all pretty unique sounding. could understand why the store manager was having trouble describing the sound to me when I asked him a while back, and couldn't say which other manufacturer's sound signature it was similar to.

L3000: (just for comparison, plenty of talk elsewhere)
-has more impact and slam than the DX1000
-better speed and clarity. more transparent probably.
-more dynamics than the DX1000. greater distinction between soft and loud swings.
-and of course the bass slam. the DX1000 probably isn't going to be a can I'll go to if I really want the bass. the L3000 on the other hand definitely delivers and I don't have any complaints.

might be more to follow later, with other headphones for comparison.

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #15 of 22
What are the various non wooden parts made from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back