HP amp in UK?
Oct 31, 2002 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chivalry

100+ Head-Fier
can anyone reccomend a good ( but cheap) Headphone amp thats available in the UK?,, i just got my new 580`s and only have an ONKYO TX-DS 595 AV amp to run them through,,,,
has anyone tried headphones with this amp?? is it any good? or would i really benefit by getting a HP amp?.. thnx alot :0)
p.s. also anyone know a good place to buy in the UK? ;0)

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 10
Check out Meier Audio. Dr. Meier's Corda HA-1 and Porta Corda get excellent reviews here. You can also check out the Rega Ear, have never heard it but it sure looks cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 10
And of course you could also check with the above poster to get a custom one made and delivered to your door.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Chivalry
can anyone reccomend a good ( but cheap) Headphone amp thats available in the UK?,, i just got my new 580`s and only have an ONKYO TX-DS 595 AV amp to run them through,,,,
has anyone tried headphones with this amp?? is it any good? or would i really benefit by getting a HP amp?.. thnx alot :0)
p.s. also anyone know a good place to buy in the UK? ;0)

Depends on what you call cheap and whether you want a fixed or portable one.

If 'Cheap' is <£500 and your requirements are fixed, there are quite a few options in the UK. The two that I went for are the Earmax Pro (just under £500) and the Naim Headline. The Headline amp needs a power supply, and someone on this board told me that you could get an entry-level power supply for it which keeps the total cost under £500. I use a bigger PSU which may not in my case deliver any advantages.

As far as a portable amp goes, probably best to go for a Porta Corda if you're in the UK. I suppose you can import from the US, but shipping costs are quite high and there is the possibility of duty depending on how you import.

Alternatively, DIY... I got a friend to make a META42-based amp for me to satisfy my curiousity but he assures me that with a bit of soldering practice, anyone can put together an amp.

Nov 1, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Yeah but they're not 'cheap'. How much is the Headmaster now?

Nov 1, 2002 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Yeah but they're not 'cheap'. How much is the Headmaster now?

Retail is 599 GBP. No idea what the street price is like for it in the UK. One place in Canada quoted me a price of 1100 CAD which is ~450 GBP (with the usual availability problems though). I suppose a determined person could find it for around 500.

Of course, I'm disregarding VAT here.

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 10
ACK!! um.. i was lookin at cheap as in 150 quid or so,, :0)... maybe x-cans? :0) not sure how much they are though .. or if u need anything else to partner with them to use em.... i just need a set of HP,, a HP amp and a cd player? that right? :0)

Nov 1, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
Retail is 599 GBP. No idea what the street price is like for it in the UK. One place in Canada quoted me a price of 1100 CAD which is ~450 GBP (with the usual availability problems though). I suppose a determined person could find it for around 500.

Of course, I'm disregarding VAT here.

Reely? (500?)I thought they were much more.

No, no, I'll resist getting another one... I've been really good, haven't bought anything over the last, oooh, 2 weeks...
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 10
hmm.. i think the best avenue for me with my budget is to have a meta42 amp built for me.... if anyone can help please pm me
biggrin.gif
r send an e-mail
smily_headphones1.gif

thnx for any help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back