HP-2 letter preservation
Dec 30, 2005 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

EdipisReks

Banned
i have a pair of Grado HP-2s that have 95+% of the lettering intact, and i want to keep it that way. i was thinking about using some kind of laquer or clear coat, but i'm afraid of it dissolving the lettering. has anyone tried this before? i'd prefer not to be a guinea pig here, if all possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 23
I would imagine that a simple clearcoat wouldn't do anything to harm the lettering. What good would the stuff be, then?

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NaOH
I would imagine that a simple clearcoat wouldn't do anything to harm the lettering. What good would the stuff be, then?

certain clear coats will dissolve certain paints, i've seen it happen with models.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkKLC
haha most productive thread ever
rs1smile.gif

gollumhp2.jpg

He likes RS-2's more...look at that smile.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 23
Lacquer is heavy stuff, it could certainly dissolve some plastics or paints. Clear acrylic or epoxy enamels are fine, however. They're made to go over paints, even delicate ones. When in doubt, read the label.

Just mask off what you don't want clear coated (presumable just apply masking tape around the outside and inside of the cups) and spray in thin, but covering coats. It should be thick enough to see, but not so thick that it drips. Not so thin that it's just a dusting. You need enough for it to stick together across the surface and then harden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back