HP-1s Arrived!
Sep 7, 2002 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ze-ant

100+ Head-Fier
Those of you who frequent the headphone section of Ebay will know that I won the recent auction for a pair of HP-1s with the upgraded signature cable and am the most recent addition to 'Team Aluminium Cans'.

I will try to set out a brief account of my impressions below, but please be kind, since this is my first attempt at such a post.

The HP-1s arrived yesterday. The flat pads were in really bad shape. They were literally falling-off/disintegrating and the small bits of black foam were everywhere. I immediately replaced both pads with the bowl pads I had recently acquired before putting them on.

Since the fitting was a bit tight and my ears began to hurt, I bent the headband outwards just enough to give adequate pressure to keep the pads lightly pressed against my ears. Being almost bedtime, I decided to plug them into by bedroom rig, a JVC cd-combo and spent about 1 hour listening to them in bed.

I listened to a Diana Krall cd (can't remember the name right now, not the newest one but the one before) and the Benny Waters cd by Opus 3. Not surprisingly, my first impressions were similar to those posted by other Head-fiers.

This is a very neutral pair of phones which present a very accurate and true sound. Some might even say that they are boring, but hey, there were designed to be used for monitoring! As I was listening to the Diana Krall cd and closed my eyes, I could almost imagine that I was listening to her in the studio. No MSG whatsoever! However, I also noted that the soundstage was relatively narrower than what I was accustomed to hearing with my Stax Lambdas. The midrange is on a par with the Lambdas, although when compared to the HP-1s the Lambdas appear to be slightly coloured and not as true sounding. I also didn't hear as much 'detail' or 'air' around the instruments as with the Lambdas.

This morning before going to work I plugged the HP-1s into my Cyber 10 tubed headphone amp and put on Sade's first cd (the one with Smooth Operator). My expectations were not high, because I had previously used the Cyber 10 with my now departed pair of W100s but did not like the sound at all. It made the W100s sound stressed with too much gain and background noise. I expected something similar from the HP-1s, since they are also relatively low impedance phones, but I was surprised to hear (once again) a very clear, neutral and noise free sound. The bass, rhythm and dynamics were better than what I heard from my JVC. Although I must add that the reduction in noise (compared with the W100s) may have had something to do with the fact that I had since replaced the original Chinese-made output tubes with a pair of vintage (1930's) British-made output tubes.

Having heard 3 types of music, I find that I prefer listening to vocals and pop music through the HP-1s, and jazz through the Lambdas. Perhaps I like phones with more colour or MSG for listening to jazz.

I will try to spend more time with the HP-1s over the weekend and will be trying them with my vinyl rig. Can't wait!

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey ze-ant thats great to hear! Gosh, you went striaght for the HP1's and bypassed the HP2's altogether. So they are built pretty solid no? Post what you hear after using the polarity switches on some things. Too bad about those flat pads of yours. I'm sure you'll wind up with flats sooner or later but know that its probably less of an issue with the HP1000's then maybe some of the other Grados; or at least I thought so. Others feel the opposite is true.. I guess thats an argument to get the flats and see for yourself. I'll make you a deal-- if you can find one flat pad I will see if I can find you the second one. Ok??
smily_headphones1.gif

M

Sep 7, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
Hey ze-ant thats great to hear! Gosh, you went striaght for the HP1's and bypassed the HP2's altogether. So they are built pretty solid no? Post what you hear after using the polarity switches on some things. Too bad about those flat pads of yours. I'm sure you'll wind up with flats sooner or later but know that its probably less of an issue with the HP1000's then maybe some of the other Grados; or at least I thought so. Others feel the opposite is true.. I guess thats an argument to get the flats and see for yourself. I'll make you a deal-- if you can find one flat pad I will see if I can find you the second one. Ok??
smily_headphones1.gif

M

Hi M Rael,

Saying that the build is pretty solid would be an understatement. It's built like a tank. However, I must add that I find them relatively light, perhaps because they're made of aluminium and since most of the weight appears to be taken up by the headband.

I tried the polarity switches on the Diana Krall and Benny Waters cds, but have to admit that I was unable to hear any difference. Since some previous posts mention that the switches only have effect on some recordings and not all, I will continue trying.

Actually, I've been able to locate 1 NOS flat pad, which looks rather lonely sitting there by itself. Perhaps I should start a 'lonely hearts' thread for it, in hope of finding it a mate!
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 11
I just want you to know that it was me whom you outbid on those. I was at a concert at the time, so I set it up so that you would have to bid US$666 (yes, I did that on purpose, so you would feel evil...EVIL...) to outbid me.

No hard feelings, though, my wallet thanks thee.

Just out of curiosity, now that it's a moot point, how high was your max bid? I'm just curious, feel free not to answer. Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
Gosh, you went striaght for the HP1's and bypassed the HP2's altogether.

Well, it's not like he had any choice in the matter. It was the only of the HP-1000 series on eBay for a while.

(The last one was an HP-2 without the upgrade cord, and it went for around US$400, but that was only because I snoozed'n'losed.)

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 11
Theres some hp-2's on ebay now. Good luck Dusty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for posting your impressions, ze-ant. (Incidentally, this is what I meant by appreciating some "Hey, look what I got" threads more than others. Some, like this, are truly worth reading.)

I was especially interested in your comparrisons to the Lambda. I haven't heard the Lambda yet and wonder if you might could describe the signature/coloration that you feel they have compared to what you felt was a more neutral HP-1.

From everything I've read, the T1, T1S, T1W, T2, 006t, 007t all excel at air and ambient detail. In this case, your giving the nod to the Stax may have had more to do with the amplifier than the transducer.

How would you compare the decay between the two?

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 11
I find that the flat pads make a HUGE difference in the sound of the HP-1000s. With the bowl pads, the sound stage seems really collapsed. I was lucky to have flat pads on my HP-1 and they sound much better than when I try out the bowls. You gotta get a pair of flats.

Sep 7, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by ze-ant
Actually, I've been able to locate 1 NOS flat pad, which looks rather lonely sitting there by itself. Perhaps I should start a 'lonely hearts' thread for it, in hope of finding it a mate!
biggrin.gif

Someone Unique
Outgoing, adventurous Grado SBFP seeking same for LTR. NS prefered. Must enjoy long evenings at home, though travel is possible with the right partner. Musical taste not important, but must come from a non sweaty prior owner. Delapidated fuzz buckets need not respond.

Hows that?

Sep 7, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Theres some hp-2's on ebay now. Good luck Dusty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Thanks! (My wallet, however, curses you...curses you...)

Sep 9, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Thanks for posting your impressions, ze-ant. (Incidentally, this is what I meant by appreciating some "Hey, look what I got" threads more than others. Some, like this, are truly worth reading.)

I was especially interested in your comparrisons to the Lambda. I haven't heard the Lambda yet and wonder if you might could describe the signature/coloration that you feel they have compared to what you felt was a more neutral HP-1.

From everything I've read, the T1, T1S, T1W, T2, 006t, 007t all excel at air and ambient detail. In this case, your giving the nod to the Stax may have had more to do with the amplifier than the transducer.

How would you compare the decay between the two?

You're very welcome.

Now that you've got me thinking about the colouration I noticed from my Lambdas, it just occurred to me that the colouration I noticed may very well have come from my SRM-T1 rather than the Lambdas themselves. I'm just guessing, since I've only heard my Lambdas through my T1 and have yet to try any of the other Stax solid-state amplifiers.

About the singature/colouration I noticed, I would term it as being on the slightly warm side, which is nice, especially with jazz, which make the Lambdas sound more laid back than the HP-1s.

I listened to a bit more of the Benny Waters album yesterday with the HP-1s and the Lambdas and definately prefer the Lambdas, which as I previously noted have that much more air and ambient detail, which gives a very nice 'live' sound to the recording.

I suspect that the air and ambient detail would have more to do with the earspeakers rather than the amplifiers themselves, given the electrostatic nature of the Lambdas. Since I was unable to detect any significant improvement in the air and ambient detail of the HP-1s when I used them with my tubed headphone amplifier, I beleive that the effect (if any) played by the Stax amplifier might not be as great as you think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Welcome to Team HP-1, ze-ant.
cool.gif

When I first received my pair of HP-1's I planned on doing a short-mega-review (???) of the Sennheiser HD-580, Sony CD-3000, Grado RS-1, and Grado HP-1. Unfortunately, I just got lazy to go through with it, and I no longer have the HD-580 and the CD3000 to correctly comment on them unless I use my unreliable memory.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back