HP-1000 Driver Durability/Tolerance
May 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Amarphael

1000+ Head-Fier
As i understand the drivers in HP1000 series have paper type cones. Also correct me if i'm wrong but it isn't common material choice in driver diaphgram anymore... In this context i'm wondering how durable HP1000 drivers are, Not just to imbalance issues but also to physical degradation of the paper and espcially with frequent reproduction of heavy, fast-paced and complex passages, An extreme example would be the classic " In the Hall of the Mountain King" in all it's many versions. I imagine this one puts any driver cone under very high pressure from the frantic movement, It makes me wonder how much "beating" of this sort can a rather delicate, (?) couple-of-decades old paper-type driver tolerate.

So is it suitable to use these headphones frequently with "heavy" music types?

May 17, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
It's not true.  Don't worry about it.

Definitely not true. I have a 1991 Audio mag article/interview with Joe Grado in which he talks about the thickness of the plastic used for the diaphragm.

May 17, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Paper drivers?  Comb not included.

Quote:
Papers drivers..? Wouldn't any amount of humidity destroy them?

Speaker Cone:
"Paper based cones account for approx. 85% of the cones sold worldwide. The ability of paper (cellulose) to be easily modified by chemical or mechanical means gives it a practical processing advantage not found in other common cone materials."

It doens't mean it's plain paperbook stuff, but it is based on paper.

Well it seems i was misinformed about the this, I was told that by a seller who talked about how he sent he pair for repair b/c the phones sounded 'flat' as a result of dryed cones.

But does somebody can tell it's not paper as a fact, i mean by physical examination of the diaphgram.

May 18, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 18
was the above post by Beagle not enough?  I've heard quite a few pairs of HP1000, and they all sounded fantastic, after 20 years.  You don't have anything to worry about.  Whatever the drivers are made of is holding up and sounding brilliant.

May 18, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 18
I can say for sure that the Grado HP-1000 series diaphragms are not paper.  I have seen them, and they are a polymer.

As far as durability goes, you can easily play them at levels that will liquify your eardrums and they will not mind.  

May 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 18

Found these on the web. Too lazy to take pics of mine 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back