How's your earwax?
Dec 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I have always had problems with earwax buildup in my ears. My earwax gets very hard also. Whenever I go to the doctor for a general checkup, I always have to get wax removed so they can get a good look at my eardrum. It is incredibly painful (words can't describe) and they usually get out some nasty dark looking earwax.

I am Asian, and some people say that Asians have more earwax issues than others, but my aunt claims, from her experience, that Asians have less earwax than others.

In preparation for getting custom IEMs, I decided to do a deep cleaning of my ears to remove/soften any wax before I go to the audiologist for impressions. I bought one of those over the counter earwax removal things by Otix. Pretty much it's a hydrogen peroxide (I think) solution and one of those blue things with a bulb on it that you use on babies to clear out their airway. I forget what it's called. On my second day of using it I was rinsing out my ears with the bulb filled with warm water, applying high pressure with the water and an enormous slab of earwax came out. I'm talking HUGE. It was dark brown, hard, and kind of tar-like. If someone else showed it to me and told me that it came out of a human's ear I wouldn't believe them. A chunk of similar size came out of the my other ear too.

Anyone have a similar experience or am I just "special"?

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 59
Don't really have too many problems with hard earwax but I do with continuing earwax. I can clear out my ears of earwax thoroughly and still clean out more hardly two days later. I honestly don't remember it being this bad when I was a child and used to clear my ears once or twice a month.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 59
haha this is funny cause when i went in the the audiologist to get my impressions made she checked my ears, and the first thing she asked was if id been using qtips to clean my ears. She proceeded to clean them both, and out of my right ear came the grossest looking slab of earwax ever, but boy was it painful, probably one of the most painful things ive ever experienced. but as long as i can remember i couldnt hear as well in my right ear, and now i can
smily_headphones1.gif
everything sounds so much better haha id almost take a pic to show yalls :p and mine was very hard and tar like as well OP

Edit: the audiologist said not to ever use qtips, specially not past the first bend, it actually just pushes the earwax down against the drum, just rinse with water, or she gave me some ear wax remover called debrox, said it was the best.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to use Debrox per recommendation of my doctor a long time ago. Did you clean your ears regularly?

i thought i did, but apparently i wasnt doing a very good job, actually just making it worse, i called my mom when i left and told her she ruined my ears, since shed been using qtips to clean my ears my whole life haha they really are good to go now, which is sweet cause now my jh 13's will sound even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 59
Lookin on amazon. I suspect the imbalance I feel recently is due to earwax...
So I'm gonna get this and see what happens.
Your stories are SCARY though.
It appears to be called Otex in the UK instead of Otix.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 59
intoflatlines;6252489 said:
How do you clean your earwax regularly (e.g., rinse with water, q-tip, etc.)?[/QUOTE

Usually let a little warm water into my ear canals and then back out again (followed by painstaking minutes of making sure I get it all out to prevent another ear infections). On the rare occasion, I may use a Q-tip, but I try to avoid that.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 59
At first I laughed a little at your story, but now I'm concerned that I've got some cray earwax monster growing inside my head oh no!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back