How's this plan look?
Feb 28, 2021 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FlipFloperator

New Head-Fier
Starting from near naught (budget boy AKG k240 and Fiio e10k), so I'm looking forward to implementing what I've learned in the past couple months into purchases and gold sounds for my ears, via headphone listening... But I am wondering if there are any notable flaws, something I'm missing, or otherwise shenanigans going on. Lay it on me if I'm a smooth brain.

Source will be primarily a computer via Spotify 'very high quality' as well as local lossless files I have. Alternate source will be a nearby turntable into a phono preamp for when I want that ritual

Plan summary:
computer
--> USB to schiit modius (dac) -->XLR out to monoprice liquid platinum (amp) --> XLR out to hd6xx w/ balanced cable
Can I have the dac RCA'd out to active bookshelf speakers at the same time as XLR out to headphones?

turntable --> schiit mani (phono preamp) --> RCA to liquid platinum--> XLR out to hd6xx. I'm not seeing a budget friendly phono preamp with balanced out so I think I'm fine accepting that fate.

I've also considered interfacing something like the schiit sys so that I can change between turntable and dac without swapping cables so toss some thoughts at me about that.
Picking a dac was a bit of a struggle. The topping d50s was a contender for a bit but doesn't have balanced out, and I've ruled out the su-8. The modius seems to have a bit more features than the drop + grace balanced sdac too. Missing anything else that in this price range?

I was originally thinking of the Valhalla 2 for the amp but with the liquid platinum being available for $400-500 it seems pretty neat and hard to outgrow. Definitely want some tubes here.

And it seems hard to go wrong with the hd6xx's as everyone seems to have them, and thankfully I know I do want open back headphones. Think they'll be well fed by the modius and liquid plat?

All advice will be appreciated

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 5
As long as you only need USB-in for the DAC, I'd say go Jotunheim 2 with a Multibit DAC card.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 5
As long as you only need USB-in for the DAC, I'd say go Jotunheim 2 with a Multibit DAC card.
+1 on the Jotunheim 2 but I would avoid their integrated DAC cards and get the Modius instead.

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Hmm, I haven't looked at the jot 2 much till now. What do you think it offers over the liquid platinum? A little bit of tubes seem to entice me

A lot more power, mostly.

If you want 'tube sound' I'd say go with a tube buffer. Can be looped in with the Jot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back