How's the Sound Quality of this Drum Track?
Feb 3, 2006 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Hiya everyone. My band and I have been recording some demo mixes but recently we've been running into problems. I basically am having an issue with the sound quality - but I could just be completely anal!

We all play together, no over-dubs. The drums were mic'd in an enclosed drum sound-proof station in the basement, while the other instruments (sax, keys/synths, guitar, bass, harmonica, trumpet, trombone) were all mic'd separately in the basement. This is a relatively crude recording, though we need to make sure before we do any more recordings that we're not wasting our time. So, if it sounds a little rough to you, remember that it is A. Only a drum track; and B. We've only done one take.

If this recording could sound significantly better, and SHOULD sound significantly better, then we'll rent our some studio space.

Here's the link to the drum track: http://rapidshare.de/files/12425911/...8-mp3.mp3.html

So, how's it sound?
biggrin.gif
If you want to comment on the overall style of the drumming, then you can do that as well
tongue.gif
But remember, it's our first take!

Thanks so much in advance. I dearly appreciate any help and comments!!

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 8
have to crank the volume just to hear anything ... then it's just some mediocre drumming for 10+ minutes.

not bad.

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 8
Ugh. The volume is low?

I could hear it just fine. Are you positive that's not a result of your own equipment, by chance?

By the way, I wouldn't call it 'mediocre'... I was just told to play a very specific, un-rhythmic kind of pattern. I think, personally, that it sounds good with the other instruments in the mix. Oh well, I guess that's why I'm asking about the sound quality of the recording to begin with.

Thanks guys - keep them coming!

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 8
The volume is indeed low. Have you checked the VU meter on your AP24/96? It won't go up very high. If you're using the soundcard on Linux, you won't have that component which is in the windows driver.

I recommend you normalize volume up first.

There's also this weird clicking in the background.

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Ugh. The volume is low?

I could hear it just fine. Are you positive that's not a result of your own equipment, by chance?

It's extremely low for me, as well.

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, you guys were right. After normalizing the track, it is indeed much more clear and considerably louder.

I don't know what you are referring to with the clicking, though. I can only suggest that maybe it's either the hi-hat opening and closing, or the click of some of the rim-shots.

Does anybody else hear this clicking noise that lan is speaking of?

Thanks again, guys!

Feb 3, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Ideed,
much to low volume (way down) and the whole recording is full of nasty little clicks. Maybe the result of a bad mp3 encode?
Open it up in an audio editor and for instance look at this
time-point (45s321.383ms) that should give you an idea at what people are talking about. Strange you don't hear it.
Difficult to say what the (playing)quality is when you can't hear the rest of the instruments. It's not all that great I think, but a whole mix could change that a lot.
Is it just one mike for the whole kit (anyway it is mono i gues you know)?
Mix of the drums is way to centred on the snare/toms, I recommend you let someone record this who knows what he's doing.

Like to hear the whole track if it's done.

Veto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back