How's the seal on your MD33s?
Mar 4, 2005 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
I've had the phones for a few months now. In general I like the sound. It's the seal (and the long cord w/ the extension but that's another story) that's the problem. I've tried all three sizes of tips. Sometimes it's OK, but most of the time just not right somehow. I also feel that I can't get the tips deep enough to get a proper "grip".

I wonder if I should get a longer/deeper canalphone version. Or do you MD33 users have some secret tips?

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
I've had the phones for a few months now. In general I like the sound. It's the seal (and the long cord w/ the extension but that's another story) that's the problem. I've tried all three sizes of tips. Sometimes it's OK, but most of the time just not right somehow. I also feel that I can't get the tips deep enough to get a proper "grip".

I wonder if I should get a longer/deeper canalphone version. Or do you MD33 users have some secret tips?

what is the problem with the cord? is it too short without extension?! i like the sharps especially for this, that i can use them with my remote perfectly.

regarding fit:
well, you have to play around a bit. i had to experiment for hours how to insert them to get a proper seal. it is not that you simply press them inside and automatically have a good seal. you must insert them from the beginning with the right angle and then press them only slightly deeper, you don't need to go too deep. you will feel it and of course hear it, if the seal is perfect. mine sometimes tend to slip-off if i yawn and open my mouth too far, therefore i try not to yawn at all :wink:
or especially if i wear them for a longer time and my ear starts to sweat, but then i dry the tips and put them in again. i also have problems with the seal if the cord gets stuck by the jacket, collar or something and is pulled a bit... because of this i now started to wear them over the ear (similar to the shure phones) i put the wire from behind over my ear and put the phone in as i would normally do, with the wire creating a whole loop around my ear. this way if i get some pull at the cabels it doesn't affect the phone at all and it doesn't disturb the seal, i only feel the pull at my ears... this way the seal is nearly perfect and doesn't change, and it seems to me that it lowers the microphonics too.

i also tried the other sized tips, but for me the medium ones worked best. i could never get a fit with the other ones.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 11
portmd.jpg

I modded mine using some foam earplugs...I'm pretty sure you could also use the foamies from the Shure's or Ety's.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 11
I can't directly say anything about the Sharps, but I do wear the EX-71's and the tips are probably exactly the same.
The best way of getting a good seal is to lift up the top of my ear (pull it parallel to your head) and then insert it into your ear, then release your ear. You have to lift up your ear with one hand (opposite hand, just put your hand over your head) and insert with the other hand. However if your in a bus or someother place where this might look "geekish" you can do this; Make a claw with your index and middle fingers, grab your upper ear with the middle of both fingers, pull up and out, insert your canalphone with your thumb, release your ear, presto!

I might point out that I got this idea from another fellow head-fi'er, just I dunno who anymore...thanks!

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by oluv
what is the problem with the cord? is it too short without extension?! i like the sharps especially for this, that i can use them with my remote perfectly..

I haven't modded my Sharps and the source(s) isn't/aren't Sharp so I have to use the extension. With it the cable's too long and the extension plugs always seem to get stuck somewhere ripping the phone from my ear. But that's another story and I once posted about it.

Thanks for the tips. I have tried pulling the earlobe and it helps a bit but not enough. Perhaps I have to try a foamie mod of some sort..

EDIT: ..or get different kind of canalphones. But I'm hesitant to do that as it seems that the next quality level ones cost an arm and a leg.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Show off!

heh...that's the only decent picture I have of them. Well...not the only...the other is them laid out on the chest of a beautiful naked woman. I thought this one was more "modest".
rs1smile.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 11
I have both the Sharps and the Sony Ex 71's. The tips are interchangeable, but the Sharps are slightly smaller at each size (small medium large) than the Sonys. I ended up taking the medium tips off of the Sonys and putting them on the Sharps, since I needed something slightly bigger than the Sharp mediums but not as large as the large size. The sonys also seem to 'grip' better too--i feel like the sharp ear tips slip around more in my ear. Maybe the Sonys are slightly thicker or something? Just a guess...

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
heh...that's the only decent picture I have of them. Well...not the only...the other is them laid out on the chest of a beautiful naked woman. I thought this one was more "modest".
rs1smile.gif

your tips look like snowcones =). w00t for iriver.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
rs1smile.gif

PM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back