How's the PS2 as a CD Player?
Oct 3, 2003 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious about the PS2's output, how ****tty it really is/what does it compare with?

600smile.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 8
It's bad. Most discmans have better lineouts than the PS2s.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Maybe it's just the onboard DAC that sucks. The PS2 does have an optical out... How about trying an external DAC?

Oct 3, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 8
It also suffers from rather high jitter, as far as I remember. And it would be a pretty loud player, anyway. I'd not recommend it as such.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 23, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi,
I dont really know about PS2 but I was reading across some High-End audio magazines. And they had a test of the best market players around $1500. And then they had some cheaper solutions. And they said that because in the PSone (the small one) and the psx and the PS2 (the grey one) has a good way of doing the DAC conversion using the processor the result can be very decent (with hi-fi criteria) if they are placed in a sturdy base.

And a PSone costs about 50new. You cannot beat that. And I think these people doing tests and suff at hi-fi magazines are usually pretty selective people.
I dont remember anything

So I am surprised to hear that PS2 doesnt sound very good to your ears. I am not saying it sounds like a $1500 CDP but for $50 you get something much better than what you would get for the money.

I think the same applies for the PS2 as a CDP as well as a PS2

Oct 23, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Why not connect the ps2 to a dac that reclocks the bits so bye bye jitter.

Oct 25, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Haven't tried the optical out but I can tell you that the stock cable sucks. It picks up hum very easily and, of course, it's not a standard RCA so there's no recourse except optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back