How's the Fidelio/CitiScape range?
Apr 20, 2014 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dragonzeanse

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm aware about the adoration for the Fidelio X1s and CitiScape Downtowns (I own the former, and I love them like a child). Fidelio L1/2s also seem to get a lot of appreciation. But what about the Fidelio M1s and CitiScape Uptowns? I'm thinking of demoing a pair of those once I sell one of my MDR-X05s. Philips has won me over with the audio products and I want to explore a couple that I haven't seen get a lot of attention save for the occasional review. Any proud owners who want to give me their opinions on them? Looking for a pair that has some emphasis on the treble and I've read that the M1s have a neutral sound signature and the Uptowns have a v-shape.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi,

M1s are pretty dark sounding headphones as the other Fidelios, probably not as dark as L1s. To my ears, M1s have just a bit more mid bass, while L1s are more spacious and provide more sub bass.
M1s provide very good isolation, and I've found them very comfortable in comparison with other on-ear headphones. I think they fit different heads much better than Downtowns.

The CitiScape line is not as dark, but neither neutral at all. Uptowns (really comfortable headphones) are V-shaped but don't sound powerful like many V-shaped headphones. I didn't like Downtowns much (nasal voices, fake highs, not good fit for average man heads, etc.)

I like Fidelios much more than CitiScape headphones. I think Fidelios are a step up in terms of sound quality.

If you are looking for something brighter you should look elsewhere. You should consider Grados or Beyerdynamics.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 4
  Hi,

M1s are pretty dark sounding headphones as the other Fidelios, probably not as dark as L1s. To my ears, M1s have just a bit more mid bass, while L1s are more spacious and provide more sub bass.
M1s provide very good isolation, and I've found them very comfortable in comparison with other on-ear headphones. I think they fit different heads much better than Downtowns.

The CitiScape line is not as dark, but neither neutral at all. Uptowns (really comfortable headphones) are V-shaped but don't sound powerful like many V-shaped headphones. I didn't like Downtowns much (nasal voices, fake highs, not good fit for average man heads, etc.)

I like Fidelios much more than CitiScape headphones. I think Fidelios are a step up in terms of sound quality.

If you are looking for something brighter you should look elsewhere. You should consider Grados or Beyerdynamics.

I'd consider those, but the problem is that I'm looking for portables I can wear during a commute and in a library. I won't have an amp on hand for Beyerdynamic headphones and my source won't be particularly strong (DT1350s notwithstanding). I think I'd like the Uptowns based on your description. I know the Fidelios are the better range, though I'd still like to explore the CitiScape Uptowns (partially because I want to be able to give an opinion on them and I suspect most people would buy from that range). I'll probably give the M1s a shot, too. Which of the two would you suggest I try out first if I want some fair treble? I don't really need treble cannons, or even really anything as bright as Grados.

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 4

I'd consider those, but the problem is that I'm looking for portables I can wear during a commute and in a library. I won't have an amp on hand for Beyerdynamic headphones and my source won't be particularly strong (DT1350s notwithstanding). I think I'd like the Uptowns based on your description. I know the Fidelios are the better range, though I'd still like to explore the CitiScape Uptowns (partially because I want to be able to give an opinion on them and I suspect most people would buy from that range). I'll probably give the M1s a shot, too. Which of the two would you suggest I try out first if I want some fair treble? I don't really need treble cannons, or even really anything as bright as Grados.

It's been some time from last time I've listened to music using Philips Uptowns, but from what I remember, they have definitely more treble than Fidelios M1.

Here you have some FR measurements:

Philips Uptown

Philips Fidelio M1

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back