How's the DAC on the iPod classics?
Oct 16, 2009 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks,

So after two and a half years, the battery on my Creative Zen Vision M is starting to get funky, not charging properly, etc. I may send it back to Creative Labs to get it replaced, but the cost may be prohibitive (if anyone knows anything about that, please let me know). So I'm thinking of just finally biting the damn bullet and getting an iPod classic. 160 GB of storage sounds fantastic, and after lots of aggravation using the XNJB homebrew app for my Zen, I'm ready for something that seamlessly integrates with my Macbook.

But the thing that steers me way, way, WAY far away from the iPod classic is the fact that I've always felt that iPods sound ****ing horrible. I don't know if it was the files, the DAC, or the headphones, but I've always hated the sound on iPods. Any thoughts on this? I haven't heard any of my files on the new players, so I'm curious what other people think about this.

J

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 11
My 2009 iPod Classic sounds ****ing brilliant with aac 320 files. My best sounding portable ever ( And i had the much lauded Cowon Iaudio X5). Try to get one that you could return if you don't happen to like it. In store tests rushed and with unknown files are more misleading than helping.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Interesting. Yeah I have NO interest in trying it in the Apple store, as I don't know anything about the files, so it's probably no good to me as a test. Head-Fi's opinion means a lot to me though.

Better than a Cowon. That's a hell of a pedigree.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 11
Actually I still have the x5 but this newclassic sound is so good in separation,transients,decays and dynamic range that I'm still scratching my head wondering what the he'll did apple changed from the 2008 classic that I had.i was planning on getting and iPhone 3gs given it's so much lauded sq,but I'm not doing it cause I don't think it can be vastly superior.and it just carries 30 gigs of
music.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Punky, its right around now that someone with the 3G Touch/3GS iPhone will pop in to tell us that the Classic sounds like crap next to their toy. Trust me, you will get as many conflicting opinions here are solid recommendations - my tip is to make sure that you buy from someone who will give you a refund if you arent happy.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 11
My sister has an ipod classic and it sounds terrible. . . one of the worst DAPs I have ever heard. My Cowon and Creatives sound a lot better.

(IMO)

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satellite_6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My sister has an ipod classic and it sounds terrible. . . one of the worst DAPs I have ever heard. My Cowon and Creatives sound a lot better.

(IMO)

Can you be a little more specific as to:

- which version of the Classic (year of release, generation if possible) ?

iPod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- exactly what you didnt like about the sound sig ? Too bright/dark/distorted/whatever. We dont have to talk about liquid mids or rolled off treble - just something specific.

- is it possible that your sister is happy with low-bitrate music that may not be presenting the player in its best possible light ? Having paid for 128K AAC downloads from the iTunes Store, back before I realised that bitrate makes a difference, I'm not casting aspersions on anyone.

I have a Cowon, two Samsungs and I've listened to several Creative players at work - the Sony X series is still the best player I've heard to date but I don't make a point of criticising the others without giving some specifics. Opinions are fine, but just wading in to say something 'sux' really doesn't help the OP. I was as anti-iPod as anyone here until their latest releases hit the streets, but I now consider the Classic/3G Touch worth an audiition.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 11
^oh sorry.

It's an 80 GB made in 2007 I guess.

The sound is just really distorted. Not good at at all.

I compared using the same CD at 320 kbps mp3 LAME 3.98.

And I've read a lot of posts saying that people with older Sony models have been dissapointed by the x-series.

I might try a Sony eventually but for now the cheap as hell Cowon i7 is awesome.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Zune 120GB, Archos 5, Classic160GB, X1060 32GB, S9 32GB............

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks,

So after two and a half years, the battery on my Creative Zen Vision M is starting to get funky, not charging properly, etc. I may send it back to Creative Labs to get it replaced, but the cost may be prohibitive (if anyone knows anything about that, please let me know). So I'm thinking of just finally

J

You can actually install a new battery yourself. It's a fairly simple procedure that takes 5-10 minuttes and it needs no advanced skills.
Battery including tools can be purchased from Amazone or ebay fairly cheap
Amazon.com: HQRP Replacement Battery for Creative Zen Vision M MP3 Player + Screwdriver for battery installation + HQRP Screen Protector: Electronics

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 11
Just so people aren't confused. The iPod Classic is the current model that is in stores now. "Classic" does not mean an older model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back