Hows my rig?
Dec 9, 2009 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mmd8x28

100+ Head-Fier
I know, a VERY weird way to use my cans, but it works SO well!! The clipping pop when I put the camera into the headphone is from the cameras mic, it's not actually present... The bass is WELL represented, so use your best cans to listen to this!

YouTube - Headphone Stuff

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 19
Antiques store in Mt. Dora florida.. I restored it too, it does work, and is used..

I kept a wireless phone for two obvious reasons though, sometimes you need a touchtone, and sometimes you just gotta walk out of the room.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Antiques store in Mt. Dora florida.. I restored it too, it does work, and is used..

Seriously? An ANTIQUE store?! Perhaps I am older that I thought...

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mritt400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? An ANTIQUE store?! Perhaps I am older that I thought...

Umm...I never though of it that way, thanks, in a odd way.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 19
Gonna really want some honest opinions on my rig. It's getting 3 1/2 stars on youtube, and not any real critique..

I see no problem using the EF2 as a preamp and the onkyo for a power amp... This setup is merely ONLY for the very low impedance headphones like said cans that are 8 ohms (range is 4-16 ohms).. Otherwise I'd normally just attach headphones directly to the EF2 for the cleanest sound..

But to be honest, the Onkyo along with the EF2, to me, is a match made in heaven (for the low ohms), it takes the EF2s tune, and makes it scream with a tune (not screeching scream).

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 19
Well its an interesting setup... have you heard newer 'audiophile-grade' headphones? What makes you like the vintage phones so much, what have you compared them with? The Tube amp likely adds a little warmth and the bass you mention is likely coming from the Onkyo EQ settings rather than it's impedance ratio which I wouldn't think is that clean, but then again you might not be hearing the full range with those old headphones...

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 19
With the Onkyos EQ turned off (flattened out), it still has more bass than the plain EF2 (which with these cans, with only the EF2, no bass at all, it's like I can only hear the harmonics of the bass or something like that).

I have not listened to audiophile grade headphones, don't have the money to afford one, or a store around here to demo one.. I've comapred to my radioshack headphones as mentioned in another thread, and the ratshack phones were so strong in bass i thought it was good and normal.. After using the old SE-2P's, I have grown to REALLY like the tamed bass (when used on an amp that could drive them in the first place), and the clear mids (which the ratshacks never did correctly, of which I knew when I bought them)..

When using the radioshack cans on the EF2 and the Onkyo on flat EQ and loudness turned off, I could hear no difference (even with the Onkyo being fed by the EF2).. The difference only could be heard with the SE-2P's..

Can I have better headphones? Yes, of course. Do I want them right now? Perhaps not, I'm actually fine with the sound I have.. Am I stuck in retroland? Help me, yes, it's an addiction..

The Onkyo TX-820 was good at keeping the sound real, despite being a lower end amp for it's time. The TX4500, I loved it, but it really added a LOT of color to bass when used incorrectly. The TX-820 doesn't seem to "let me" go crazy on the bass and treble, as if the incriments are very minute.. 820 was about keeping it natural and cheap, which I think is good..

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 19
I really think headphones have come a long way in the 40 some years those SE-2s were manufactured. I've auditioned the Pioneer SE-30, well grown up with them in some sense as my dad has owned them ever since I was born. In comparison with JVC-RX700 (a $30 full size headphone), the Pioneer are lacking in all round sound quality, from detailed highs to bass impact which is really just missing on the vintage phones.

Whether you are looking or not I think for under 100 bux you could have a much better headphone to use with the hybrid amp. The SE-2P has the unique, classy factor going for it but thats about it.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 19
I like what I got right now though.

I don't think some people understand when I say, I have NO money. I actually mean that, my car needs gas and I can't get it for it, because my unemployment benefits from being laid off stopped, despite still trying really hard to get a job (gah, getting a call back would be nice, especially when I constantly call them to check up).

That's the thing about me, I make the best of what I have.. If my limit is headphones, I'm gonna push them as far as I reliably can, no matter what it takes.. You'll see that in my other videos on youtube too..

EDIT: I am going to test the SE-2P in my fathers studio. Going to give it a sine wave sweep into a high quality microphone, and see what it's frequency response is. Will be in a quiet room..

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 19
Actually, for Christmas it would be nice if I could get some nice new headphones.. If I had to change the tone I've grown to like from the SE-2P, I want total EQ flatness.. Nothing exaggerated, just real..

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 19
What I'm saying is your rig is only as strong as the weakest component. For arguments sake you could sell your vintage headphones, Onkyo receiver and hybrid amp and buy the JVC RX700s for $35, plugged directly into your source you'll get a better overall sound... to boot you'll have extra money for gas, food etc.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back