Hows head-fi's 5g scratching problem?
Nov 20, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 6
I have a 4th generation and as far as I know they haven't changed the actual build from one to another, so here's my opinion on the matter:

Scratches are inevitable, and it's pretty much a fact that your are going to get some, but as to the amount and quality you have huge amount of control over that. A case with a screen guard is a must. There's a wide variety of them out there, and many more coming out everyday. (At this point I check ilounge.com almost daily for news about cases, accessories, etc.) The biggest problem you will have in getting scratches is when the iPod is not in your hands, i.e. in your pocket/stored in your bag and when *gulp* you drop it. I would really avoid putting your new player in your pocket as much as possible. If you know that you can hold your pod comfortably then do so, don't chance putting it in your pocket and causing damage from movement inside your pocket. Even with a case and screen guard small scratches will accumulate, with the plastic formfitting cases it's usually because of they have nt been cleaned well before putting them on, and with leather or other non-formfitting the interior of the case can cause scratching if it is jostled around enough, as it will be in your pocket.

For cleaning of scratches I have used Brasso before, it is a metal cleaner that effectively minimalizes scratches by removing any dirt that has collected in them, and by decreasing their impact/depth. It is a labor intensive process to clean and I do not know how it may affect the 5G, there may be the chance that it could harm it, but on my 4G it works great.

Good luck!

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 6
your safest bet.. use a belt clip
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 6
The back on my white 5G ipod is almost a total loss. The front has no visible scratches; but it is of course, white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back