How's a Creative Zen Vision M fair powering mid range Headphones
May 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

infernojim

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have a Zen Vision M 30gb MP3 player and very much like it. I think it delivers a good sound.

I have historically used IEMs, currently have a Hifiman Re0 and Xears TDX III, and they are both easily powered. The Xears are louder, comfortable listening on 15/16 out of 25, when on transport etc.

With the RE0 I have to have it nearer 19/20 to get the same level of isolation from the outside world.

All of this leads me to my next questions, which are related to their ability to drive mid-range Headphones, without the use of an AMP.

I have begun looking and the ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT770s (80 ohm version) are currently looking good in terms of my sounds preference and budget, around £150 or less if possible.

Anyone else used the ZVM with headphones, and what are your experiences? Do they have enough drive to work okay with mid-range overear closed phones, such as those I'm considering?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 11
Klipsch image ONE sound loud and clear out of any DAPs with quality bass and wide soundstage. Others headphones are like Bose QC15, Monster HD Solo, JVC on ear, Poineer.

May 26, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 11
I've got a ZVM and ATH-M50 as well as the Sennheiser HD25 1:II. Still I do not know if I can contribute that much. I like the ZVM very much, but to me is it a bit thin on the lower end. So I've got a Fiio E5 headphone amp velcroed to the back of the ZVM and the bass boost improves the sound a bit.
Bass is a bit stronger on the M50 while mids are slightly more recessed compared to the HD25 1:II. If I had to choose only one of them to go with my ZVM/Fiio E5 combo, I'd go with the HD25 1:II.

My suggestion is to buy a cheap Fiio E5 and try with your ZVM. It will not improve the sound by leaps and bounds, but at least it will give you a volume boost and a bit more bass. I am not a DIY guy when it comes to cables, so I have not made my own line out. I just bought a black ZVM dongle that I use with a short interconnect cable. It is a bit bulky and not so nice looking, but what the heck!

May 26, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 11
It's just the ordinary one:

You should have it as well. However, I bought a black one off Ebay (to match my black ZVM). The best thing would be to buy or make a line out dock. But they are too rare to buy, and you have to be able to solder to make one yourself...
Anyway, just plug the connector cable into the line out in the dongle and then plug into the Fiio E5. Of course there are much better headphone amplifiers, but the E5 does the job of giving some extra bass and volume. And for a low price.

May 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Nice one, I do indeed have that; from reading around was unsure whether it was this that people were talking about! :)

Now just have try and find some cheap-ish ATH's!

Thanks once again.

May 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Been a while since I've seen the ZVM brought up! It was my first DAP and still best, wish it hadn't died :frowning2: It sounded amazing with all my IEMs but as for cans, it's pretty much universal that their sound can be much improved by an amp.

But I really liked my SR225 and HD485, two easy to drive headphones,rright out of the jack and didn't too badly miss the sound of my desktop rig- it sounded "right" for a portable rig. Not that cheap sound you seem to get out of most DAPs.

May 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Now I have compared the M50 and HD25 1:II out of the Fiio E5 and headphone jack and I do not need to push the volume that high out of the headphone jack. If I go to 20 it's quite loud. So the ZVM should have no problems driving either of the headphones.
The M50 has got a bit wider and deeeper soundstage than the H25 1:II, which sometimes can feel a bit too narrow. But they are both as detailed, and the HD25 1:II being less bulky makes them my choice for portable use.

@LingLing1337 - you can find cheap ZVMs on Ebay. I bought my first ZVM in 2009 from Ebay. I wanted to try this classic MP3 player out. It is easy to mod with flash memory and you can change battery. Overall a very nice player.

May 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks both, I got my ZVM in 2008 I think and still going strong.

I researched a lot about the sound at time, and got this above an ipod on strength of reviews etc. Pleased that it is still well regarded.

Thanks a lot for the feedback without amping on the M50s and HD25s Danneq, that's given me something to go on. I would like them to be fairly portable phone and not to baulky, so think the HD25s are looking like a decent option. Still tempted by the Ultrasone HFI-780s too... which look similarly portable, and also appear easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back