How you became an audiophile.
Feb 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 51

Quote:
lol I was born an audiophile. My dad used to play music off his walkman on my mother's belly, so yeah, that's how it all started.
bigsmile_face.gif

I was actually in a similar position. My brother had been playing cello for 4 years by the time I was born (he still plays), and when I was in utero, my brother would normally practice about 4 hours a day with his cello. My mother was there the whole time, making sure I heard all of it.
So I blame her for my headphone addiction. :D

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #32 of 51
I beheaded an audiophile, and gained his immortality.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #33 of 51
Started my journey with speakers and receivers. After trying some vintage headphones i became addicted. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #34 of 51
About 3 weeks ago, I was listening to turtle beaches and wanted some heavy bass headphones for school, so i was like, hey I should get Beats! :D

1 Week ago, I was at Best Buy, and an employee allowed me to listen to his prize possession, his Audeze LCD-3's. He plugged them into some contraption (What I now know as an amp, still don't know what brand) and turned on a Chris Daughtry song (I was wearing a Chris Daughtry shirt and we both happened to be fans, I listen to Rap, Dubstep, Rock, ect.). I listened.....and listened....and my mind melted into pure extacy. At that point, I knew I had a new appreciation for music and the software that produces its wonderful sounds...

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #35 of 51
About one month ago I started listening to music at night using my Nokia N95 because I was having trouble sleeping, the headphones I was using had what I thought was wonderful bass. Craving more of what they offered I began searching the internet for reviews and threads. Considering there are so many headphones out there also never owning a decent pair I purchased a pair of beats tours thinking these $200 headphones will put me into a deep bass trance! I mean they are one of the most expensive money can buy right? surely they're going to be wonderful? No, they were not, actually far from it, they were one of the worse experiences I had ever had. After selling them I was determine to conquer my demons beoming addicted to finding headphones better for half their cost. I've something very close... CX300 ii and for now they are comfortable far better than any satanic beat demon!

My journey for even better bass continues....  

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #36 of 51
gs1000.gif
I think that was the day i got, my Technics amplifier, previously had Sony, which was good also but seemed the Japanese mad Technics was just that bit nicer, then i got hooked on vinul again also lolz

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #37 of 51
Music has always been a part of my life - sometimes an escape, other times a drug....no matter how you cut it, appreciation of music I think has to be the core of what an audiophile is.  I've covered many genres over the years, and still explore today, but how did I know when I became an audiophile?   I realized that there was more to music than just listening, more than bass, treble, mid.  It was about appreciating the work behind it of the artist, and the professionals that mixed and mastered it.  That all became very apparent to me when I tried mixing some stuff for a friend...I knew I had to get the sound going to my ears better than what was going there originally.  When I couldn't decide on what to buy next....enter Head-Fi. 

It was that point that in my quest for better sound made me realize that I was WAY to picky on sound, and that was when I became an audiophile.....And yes, I'm still "too damn picky" on sound for my wife....

Then my wallet divorced me 
dt880smile.png
 and I knew I had arrived....

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #39 of 51
1998 sitting in the middle of a thx theater showing saving private ryan

not exactly music related, but i'll never forgett the shock at hearing something so good. Revived the post because a friend of mine asked me how i started to know about these things.

May 2, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #42 of 51
Whats an audiophile? What makes that person more important than me and my love for music? I've never claimed to be an audiophile and admit I think its a lame name to separate the music lover from the guy with more money.

I started listening to music at a very young age because my Dad was/is a huge music fan. 8track, reel to reel...LP...I grew up on all that. Even cans. My dad always had a good pair of Pioneer cans to go with his Sansui, Teac, Pioneer, Akai etc equipment.

As a child I remember always seeing my Dad in front of his equipment, headphones on and knowing if I bothered him that all hell would let loose. (yeah he was a bit of a hard ass). He always played music in the car, at home and when i was 6 he gave me my first record player. (i'm turning 43 this year)

Years later I'm still addicted to music and willing to spend money on this passion. I still listen to the very same music he listened to all those years ago; as well as everything in between and up to date. I think music has always been a part of me but if not for my Dad I might not be the fan that I am.

May 3, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #43 of 51
When I was little I used to use the headphones that came with the DAPs such as Zune, iPod, etc but one day i thought "man, there must be other headphones that could sound better than this" I remember I went to a radio shack and bought a skull candy in ear and i was blown away because of how different they were in terms of sound (i know lol) but those headphones made me want more and more and more, even though i didn't knew anything about headphones I just used to go to a radio shack and buy different headphones whenever i could to see how different they were. Then I discovered Head-Fi and I used to spend hours upon hours looking at reviews and photos then I sing up to be a member, lol. 
L3000.gif
 excuse my english. *I'm not even near of becoming an audiophile but thats the story of how I got obsessed with headphones. 
atsmile.gif

May 18, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #44 of 51
I had been using "Gaming Headsets" for a couple of years and I was never really pleased with the quality. started with a pair of turtle beaches, used those until they broke... 1 year later after the warranty expired. Then I went to skull candy, they were more enjoyable but still not good enough. So I started doing research since I was putting some money into a new Gaming PC anyways and ordered The Sennheiser HD558's. Once I found my Earforce DSS "Dac" that came bundled with my turtle beaches, I hooked it all up to my new pc and put on some tunes. I wouldn't really call myself an audiophile, but more a music lover like I have been my whole life, just more interested in the technical side of things now. 
o2smile.gif

May 18, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #45 of 51
I love being an audiophile. It makes me feel on top of the world! 

But seriously, being an audiophile has given me strength and courage to battle the evils of mankind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back