How would you spend your money on headphones on a budget constraint?
Dec 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Seamless Sounds

Previously known as HeadFi Fanatic
If you had a budget constraint say $1500-$2000 (it can be any arbitrary number but keep it real), would you spend it all on one headphone for that one special sound signature, or would you split your budget to diversify your collection of different sound signatures? I'm curious as to what your preferences are.

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 8
That's a hard one, but the HD800s at my local hi-fi shop have me entranced.

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 8
Split it. I'm new to nice headphones, but I really like my KRK KNS 8400s. The only thing they are lacking a little is bass. BUT, they're cheap. So hey, I could go out and get some XB500s and have a good bass headphone and a good mid/treble headphone for around $200 total. Win win to me.

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 8
It kind of depends on what you already got. If I already had 2-3 pairs of good headphones, I'd probably go for the bigger fish. However, if I only had one or none - I'd definitely split it up on several good ones.

I have a hard time believing that there is an ultimate headphone that would do everything excellent, with every song, without faults - so better have several that all have their specific traits.

Edit: I was in this dilemma myself actually. I chose to split it up. I have sold my old gear, so the only headphones I have are the D2000 and the Klipsch S4 IEMs. I'm kind of doing a reboot right now. I'll keep my Klipsch S4 for rainy days when I don't want to damage the ones I am waiting for right now..

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 8

I listen to far too many different genres ~ no single headphone could cover it all for me, maybe
the LCD-3 would get pretty close but not the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back