How would you spend $500 on a portable set up?
Mar 11, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #16 of 21
I already have my ideal portable setup. Which would be:

iPod 4G 20GB (rockboxed) + SR60

Carries most of my music that I like in high quality. I'm not a big fan of IEMs so something more portable and not super expensive (seeing as how I would be walking around/traveling with them) which makes the SR60 ideal. I never understood the purpose of a portable amp for use in walking around so I don't require one nor do I think I will ever get one unless of course I needed to set something up at an office somewhere down the road.

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 21
I would forgo the portable amp. To me, having an extra amp to carry around takes away from the portability of the system. So I would go with SE530 with a nice DAP and the rest on music. I personally like the iAudio X5L due to its long battery life and FLAC support.

So my ideal portable setup:

iAudio X5L -> Shure SE530

You might also want to check out the Westone UM3 as it is scheduled to release sometimes this month as well...

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking about the tomahawk but what do i do when i get a higher impedence phone like 250 ohm or higher???

The Tomahawk is more than capable of handling hard-to-drive headphones with high Ohm ratings. Ray Samuels tested the Tomahawk with a HD650, with 300 Ohms, and it managed to power it very well for over 400 hours on a single set of AAA batteries. There are low (1) and high (4) settings for the gain, and on 4 it drives my 600 Ohm Darth Beyers very well. Better, in fact, than my Corda Headfive, which is a desktop model that is quite respected as a good entry-midlevel amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say just get the best IEM your money will buy. IEM first, amp second. The 'best' choices are rather limited to the E500, Triple.fi10Pro and the Westone 3.

What music do you listen to?

What milkpowder sez. I love the TF10, myself, but wish UE IEM's fitted more like Westone's.

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say just get the best IEM your money will buy. IEM first, amp second. The 'best' choices are rather limited to the E500, Triple.fi10Pro and the Westone 3.

What music do you listen to?

that's how i'd spend it too
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back