how would you spend $1000 from scratch?
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 31
Personally, I'd purchase a decent set of headphones or earphones under $300 and give it a few months before spending more money on the theory that doing so will significantly improve the quality of streaming audio and playback of the occasional FLAC file.

If you are intent on a combined digital to analogue converter and headphone amp, I would take a serious look at the Sound Devices MixPre-3M ($549) and MixPre-3 ($649). I think that it is highly unlikely that you will find anything better, and these will also give you recording capability. I haven't looked at the nuts and bolts of doing this, but I expect that you could record your streaming music to the MixPre for later playback.

I am not an American and have no interest in "Buy American", but Sound Devices, the company that makes the MixPre series, is relatively local for you if you run into a problem (Wisconsin) and has a truly superb reputation for support and service. Few people here will know what Sound Devices is. It is the pre-eminent manufacturer of audio recorders and mixers used in film and radio production. Its cheapest 2-track recorder, until the MixPre series, cost $2600. There is no question that the DAC and headphone amp in the MixPre series are as good as in its other recorders, which means very good indeed.

This video explains the difference between the MixPre-3M and the standard MixPre-3. The former, at $549, may be attractive to you, because you aren't going to need Timecode input:

You are recommending the Sound Devices products we would like a review of them then. You say it is highly unlikely that there is anything better. Don’t know could be but that is a strong statement and you did not back it up with reviews .

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #17 of 31
You are recommending the Sound Devices products we would like a review of them then. You say it is highly unlikely that there is anything better. Don’t know could be but that is a strong statement and you did not back it up with reviews .

Do a Google and YouTube search and you'll find plenty of reviews.

If you look at my signature, you'll also see that I have some personal experience with Sound Devices products.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 31
Why not on Head-Fi ?

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #19 of 31
?

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #20 of 31
Why not on Head-Fi ?

As I said above, few people here would know what Sound Devices is.

One reason is that, before the fairly new MixPre series, the only audio interface that Sound Devices made is the USBPre 2. It is a two-track interface and sells for US$900, which is beyond the budget of most people and is not enthusiast, prosumer gear.

The MixPre series has made Sound Devices quality available to a lot more people.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 31
As I said above, few people here would know what Sound Devices is. Wouldn't hurt you to find out.
Maybe you should link some of the reviews? I tried looking, but could find none for the MixPre-3M (granted I didn't look terribly hard) and the only ones I found for the MixPre-3 talk about ADC only, no DAC, and the only mention of the headphone amplifier is to say it's powerful.

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #22 of 31
No wouldn’t hurt for me to find out but why not submit to @jude or other Head-Fi moderators that to me would be the bette play just saying.

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 31
Maybe you should link some of the reviews? I tried looking, but could find none for the MixPre-3M (granted I didn't look terribly hard) and the only ones I found for the MixPre-3 talk about ADC only, no DAC, and the only mention of the headphone amplifier is to say it's powerful.

Look for reviews of the standard MixPre-3. Also the MixPre-6, which is the same thing except more channels. To make it simple, just look for Sound Devices MixPre.

The MixPre M versions are brand new and they are sonically the same product except targeted at musicians. However, they will also work for a lot of people who don't need Timecode.

The MixPre series works both as an ADC and as a DAC, and as a USB audio interface, but many reviews will concentrate on the ADC function, as well as the preamps, because a lot of people want to use these as recorders.

The headphone amplifier is uniformly seen as very clean and neutral. That is critically important to how Sound Devices products are used when recording, and playing back, sound. It is one of their strengths. If you want a coloured headphone amp, this is not the product for you.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #24 of 31
No wouldn’t hurt for me to find out but why not submit to @jude or other Head-Fi moderators that to me would be the bette play just saying.

Sorry, I don't know what this means. I made a suggestion. Does that need to be approved by a moderator?

It's not like I'm talking about a fly-by-night company. A high percentage of the feature films that you've seen in the last ten years, not to mention series (e.g. Game of
Thrones) and documentaries, have been made using Sound Devices products. It is a major player. Maybe have a look at their web site.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 31
I would most certainly look at something like the FiiO Q5 or iDSD xDSD (Bluetooth connectivity is a great feature and sound quality is top-shelf) as my amp/DAC and invest the majority of the money into a headphone (I don't use IEM so no advice there). I would then seriously consider something like the Audioquest NightOwl as it has a great deal to offer, but there are many excellent headphones available.

I second the Mojo and the NightOwl or NightHawk, which are really great deals now that they are being sold off!
I have that combo and love it! Very musical, pulls me into the music and lets me forget what's around!
I listened to live recordings with this pair where I instinctively turned to look around me because the sounds coming from way deep and off to the sides in the soundstage were so real I thought there was someone there!

I am now using the HiBy R3 DAP as a source, pairs perfectly with the Mojo.

Costs for me were:
HiBy R3 (Kickstarter) €170
Chord Mojo (Ebay, new) €370
NightOwls (Ebay, new) €320
Shanling L2 cable €25
256GB micro SD €110

Total: €995 :)
+ a few Euros and many hours to design and 3D print the case

I am also using the Pinnacle P1 IEMs but while the sound is detailed and clear it doesn't come close to the NightOwl experience.

IMG_8073.JPG IMG_8070.JPG

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #26 of 31
Look for reviews of the standard MixPre-3. Also the MixPre-6, which is the same thing except more channels. To make it simple, just look for Sound Devices MixPre.

The MixPre M versions are brand new and they are sonically the same product except targeted at musicians. However, they will also work for a lot of people who don't need Timecode.

The MixPre series works both as an ADC and as a DAC, and as a USB audio interface, but many reviews will concentrate on the ADC function, as well as the preamps, because a lot of people want to use these as recorders.

The headphone amplifier is uniformly seen as very clean and neutral. That is critically important to how Sound Devices products are used when recording, and playing back, sound. It is one of their strengths. If you want a coloured headphone amp, this is not the product for you.
I realized that the M series was brand new right after I realized there were no reviews for it. And, as mentioned, I did read reviews for the 3, but there was no mention of sound quality, pretty much at all, let alone how an audiophile would be interested.

I'm sure everybody here would love to learn about a great DAC that they haven't heard of before, but the burden or proof lies with you. I'm not going to go out of my way to find something that may or may not exist.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #28 of 31
I ended up buying a used chord mojo in, hopefully, like new condition.

I’ll be saving towards the andromeda’s next.
I owned the Mojo, and it is a very nice device for sure, very nice. I don't think I would take the Mojo over the Q5 mind you. I'm sure that you'll have an amazing sounding system, enjoy!

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #29 of 31
I'm sure everybody here would love to learn about a great DAC that they haven't heard of before, but the burden or proof lies with you. I'm not going to go out of my way to find something that may or may not exist.

I suggested a product from a highly regarded company with a superb reputation for support. I am not in the business of doing people’s research for them, let alone “proving” anything. If you don’t want to research this product, then don’t.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #30 of 31
The Andromeda would sound just fine out of an iPhone.
I believe that the differences with an added amp would be minimal at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back