How would you make DIY wireless headphones?
Aug 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jome

New Head-Fier
Hey just wanted to know if anybody has tried this before or if this is even possible to do as a DIYer. It seems it should be possible I know people who have made wireless transmitters. If I wanted adapt a pair of t50rps what parts would I need? Are there any sites that show how to wire up something like this? Should I try using digital or analog wireless signals? Let me know what you think!!! Thanks!

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Yes, it is do-able.
In fact I planned to do something like this in the future.

The signal transmitted wirelessly should be digital for higher fidelity.

not sure if that works in practice, radio transmission is quite good, the type of dac and amp that can fit in a headphone cup without impacting on wearability or acoustics..not so much

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
In fact I planned to do something like this in the future.

Awesome definitely keep us posted! And if you would if it's not to much trouble could you post some pictures and show how you did it! I'm very interested to see how this works!

Quote:
type of dac and amp that can fit in a headphone cup without impacting on wearability or acoustics..not so much

Would something like this work for the receiver or is only for microphones?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=242-382

I was thinking you could make a 4 xlr jack on the headphones and plug that into the side. That could be one way to get a some what sleek design.

would that also allow you to make a wired or wireless connection? Also is there a make the amp and transmitter combined into one device? Would it make any difference to add a amp to the transmitter?

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 10
How about integrating a Sansa Clip to headphones:

You can find some detailed description here in my thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589320/wireless-headphone-with-integrated-mp3-player-w-pic-for-diy

Basically, you:
1) buy a set of portable headphones (preferably with single entry cable), then put on a TRS jack to headphone cup to accept removable cable. Then
2) make a short cable and stick a Sansa Clip to headphones.

Headphones like TMA-1s, VMODA-V80s/M80, Koss Pro DJ 200, Shure 840 or Superlux Headphones do not need the above step 1).

Some photos showing Superlux Headphones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back