How would you improve head-fi?
Nov 15, 2006 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

bizkid

1000+ Head-Fier
I wonder if this got ever discussed before? Recently i get a little tired of sorting over many many "newbie" posts in all parts of this forum. Please dont get me wrong, i dont have anything against new users to head-fi! Its just that my free time gets less and new users get more and more (which is great!) . But i'd like to just get to the posts about things that interest me a little more, ie the mid to highest end headphones/amps/sources. Also its more interesting to chat and hear opinions of more experienced users since its tiresome to explain to new users again and again, or find out the person has just read about the headphone/amp/source he's talking about and never actually heard it (which happens too often here imho).

I wanna point out again: Please dont get this the wrong way, everybody started as a newbie sometime! I got most of my experience by reading many many (thousands?) posts here and then by listening/comparing alot of headphones (too many, wallet.. ouch)
biggrin.gif

Also im into recording (hobby only) which helps alot too
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway to get to the point, many other big forums have somewhat of an an "oldtimers" (or whatever they call it, you get the idea
biggrin.gif
) part of their forum. Ofcourse everybody is free to post there and nothing is enforced, but still these parts of the forum are only used what they are intended for without moderating most times.

Maybe something similar could work here too. Its ofcourse impossible to draw the line of what would belong in there and what not, but the newest "what 50$ portable amp for MS-1" thread surely aint it
biggrin.gif
Ofcourse 100$ or 200$ can be highend for some people already, but on the whole scale of avaible headphone gear, it just aint that. Then there'll be a debate for sure of how to define it, will a 200$ chinese amp be considered worthy? If its proven to sound great, then yes! (in my opinion). But especially with headphones, quality comes with a price, less so with amps (exception HD650 and its amping benefits), but curiously more so with sources again.

It would also be interesting to use only 1 "highend" forum for all subjects: headphones, amps & sources, once you heard alot of stuff you realize that the most important thing is the whole system synergy anyway. Or maybe the forum could be entitled "headphone systems & matching/talk" or something similar
wink.gif

Im pretty sure something like that will turn out as a valueable research place for new users too.

Anyway im just kicking off some ideas and im curious what other users think (old and new!)
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 62
Don't really see a need for the specific changes you mentioned. Us old-timers are fine helping out or just chilling in the member's lounge. As for making only one high-end sub-forum...we actually started off with less than there are now, but people wanted dedicated sections. It's easier to specific questions and gather info, not to mention less clutter. (plus there'd be nonstop bumping, since threads would disappear off the first page quick)

Quote:

Bring back the old winking emoticon. I miss him.

Agreed.

My input... I say we start a turf war. Have a representative from each faction meet up in real life, and let loose with whatever hi-fi-related weapon they've sworn allegiance. Do it once a month, for morale. Winners get pie.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
Bring back the old winking emoticon. I miss him.

Ditto. The new one looks like someone with a twitch to me.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
It's easier to specific questions and gather info, not to mention less clutter.

The way it is now looks more cluttered to me, but maybe im just weird
biggrin.gif
I have to open up 3-4 windows just to check for new threads in each part, and then skip like 80% of the posts anyway to find what im interested in.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 62
I only log in once a day or so, but at one point I used to check at least 5 or so of the threads that were either new or had new posts in the headphone forum (that showed up as bold), but now it seems like I'm probably reading only 1 thread. Maybe 2 at max.

So I'm all for a high end forum (I could see it having a lot of activity).

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
The way it is now looks more cluttered to me

As compared to...?

Quote:

I have to open up 3-4 windows just to check for new threads in each part

Then use the "New Posts" button?

Quote:

and then skip like 80% of the posts anyway to find what im interested in.

That's your problem.
tongue.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

As compared to what?

As compared to a higherend only part of the forum as i explained above without sub 200$ gear (for example).

Quote:

Then use the "New Posts" button?

Thats even more cluttered and harder to search through.

Quote:

That's your problem.
tongue.gif

Well...... Yes it is
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
The way it is now looks more cluttered to me, but maybe im just weird
biggrin.gif
I have to open up 3-4 windows just to check for new threads in each part, and then skip like 80% of the posts anyway to find what im interested in.

I look at the "clutter" thing like this:

I generally check head-fi before I go to bed and then again when I wake up. I generally just check the headphones, amps, computer-as-source, portable-audio, music and member's lounge sections. And by the time I get back to check them the new posts usually look like this:

Headphones: 2-3 pages of new posts
Amps: 1 page of new posts
Computer-as-source: 1 page of new posts
Portable-Audio: 1 page of new posts
Music: About 1/2 page of new posts
Members Lounge: 1-2 pages of posts

So I end up with 6 different pages to check for new posts. But if this was all in one forum then that'd be between 7-9 pages of threads to look at!! By the time I'd got to the end of the 9th page there would be more replies bumping other threads near to the top again and I'd have missed part of the conversation.

Plus you'd get loads of bump messages just to get the topic back to the first page. I like it as it is.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 62
I'd add a paid subscription section where (almost) everything goes. Religion, politics, whatever.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 62
m_memmory: You forget that this 1inALL subforum would be limited to high end stuff only, thats the point of the whole thing
biggrin.gif

Also there's no silly bumping. I really dont understand whats hard to get with this idea, i see this in many other forums (harmony central or gearslutz for example) and it works great, without bumping, without special moderation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back