How would you fix this split/fraying cable?
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

busstonedfx

New Head-Fier

My HF2's are splitting right at the point where it connects with the jack.... How would you guys treat this, to slow down the damage?
Shrink tubing?
Electrical tape?

How would you guys be tackling this, if it were your IEMs?

Thanks guys!!

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 13
Heat shrink should do.  I would reterminate the cable and add heatshrink strain relief if the conductors are starting to take some damage.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 13
You could cut off the molded connector and then use one of these:

http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/products/35-mm-plugs/

They're not expensive - shipping might cost more than the part.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 13
From what I've seen, it's usually a 2:1 shrink ratio, so just get whatever will shrink to a snug fit around the connector and the cable.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 13
so I went to radio shack and bought the assorted sizes of shrink tubing

The shape of the plug on these friggen things is impossible. The tubing is either too big or too small.....
If its big enough to slip over the curve on the plug of the HF2's, the shrunk diameter is too large for the cable.....
If its small enough to shrink to the diameter of the size of the cable, its too small to slip unshrunk over the curve of the plug.....

What i wound up doing is wrapping the cable with electrical tape right where the tears are, at the joint where it meets the plug, without overlapping on the plug itself, so that the tape would be FAT around the tearing, and used the larger shrink tubing to wrap the plug, and the electrical tape. It's tight, but there's a little play at the very end of the tubing on the earphone side, where the tubing hangs off of the edge of the tape.

But its better than nothing!
Does anyone have any better ideas, or did this a more practical way??

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 13
Not bad. I probably would've done the same thing if the heat shrink tubing didn't quite fit right. Hopefully it'll last longer than the original plastic sheath...

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 13
If you can solder or know someone who can, I'd replace your 4 Pin TRRS plug with this one:
3.5mm TRRS 4 Conductor Low Profile All Metal

If you cut off the bad end and leave some of the wire on it, you can strip it back and do a continuity check to see where the wire go to on the bad plug.
Then just solder the corresponding wires to the new plug, is what I'd do.
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 13
With care that tape / shrink fix will hold up for a long time.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back