How would you all predict a Corda HA-1 would drive a pair of 600s?
Jan 23, 2004 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rodbac

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm listening to my just-received pair of HD-600s through my Corda HA-1 (from my Audigy).

Without telling me how poor my source is (I know), how would you think the 600s should sound compared to a pair of A900s?

I'd like to hear predictions before posting any of my impressions, so as not to direct the discussion.

Thanks to anyone who cares to answer! -rodbac

Jan 23, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Cmon- I know this is a pretty lame thread, but I needs some predictions...
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 9
HD600 vs A900 IMO it's a hands down win for HD600. And the HA-1 would drive your HD600's just fine out of that soundcard, I myself use a crappy Soundblaster LIVE! 5.1 but I still enjoy the sound.

Jan 24, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 9
To be honest, I did not like the HA-1 MkII/HD-650 combination, and I tried it with a number of different sources ranging from mp3 players to dedicated cd players and with a pioneer dv-47. Almost all of the combinatoins had a bright fatiguing sound. I cringed at the cymbals. The amp was able to drive the Senns pretty loud, but after the volume pot was turned all the way, I still wanted a *little* more power. It should be noted however that my listening levels are VERY loud, and this probably won't be an issue for most. The crossfeed part of the amp I liked a lot, so much so that when I returned my HA-1, I got the Corda Cross-1. Other positives about the amp is that it is perfectly silent. With no signal, you could twist the volume pot from min to max without ever hearing anything, a nive and black background form which the notes emerge. Although I didn't personally like the amp, I strongly believe there are people that will. As stated above it should make most Senn owners satisfied with the amount of juice it can put out. Also, I consider myself to be a very sensitive listener, and the same cymbal crashes that made me cringe might be just the extra oomph that someone is looking for. And build quality on this amp can't be faulted, built like a truck and nicely designed. So in the end, this is an amp that some people will probably like a lot, I just wasn't one of those people
Cheers,
Silby

Jan 24, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 9
I spent a night (oo-er) with Sennheiser HD580 and Corda HA-1 once, and I felt it was one phone that really suited the character of the HA-1, it was laid back, but clean and detailed, with a balanced sound and it was pretty good to be honest. Would do most people just fine I suspect.

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 9
I would think the CORDA would do a pretty good job; Jan Meier was selling the HD600s when he developed the Corda. I would not be surprised if that was not one of the test headphones for the amp. My porta CORDA drives HD580s just fine (better, however, with a 24V wallwort attached
evil_smiley.gif
).

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Alright- here's my impressions (in short):

The 600s sound great with the amp, with the differences between them and the A900s generally being what are described as the differences between the two phones (the 600s are more mellow, the A900s more in-your-face).

To be very honest, I think I agree with Silby almost to the tee. I have attributed it to my very poor source to this point, but maybe it's not just me...

The big thing that surprised me, though, was that I literally can turn the volume on the Corda all the way up and still listen to it moderately comfortably (I like it a bit softer, but full volume is quite listenable). Is this surprising or not?

Jan 24, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, that wouldn't be surprising at all, I guess- it was just a shock that I can blow my eardrums with all other phones I have, but the 600s would require more-than-full volume to even start approaching it. Also surprising is that they both sound so similar out of the iHP/SuperMini combo- it's obvious they're not driving the 600s to their potential, but both phones (600s and A900s) sound very close in volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back