How would this travelling rig be?
Dec 1, 2006 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

otprof

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at amp and headphone combinations for an extended trip to Italy. I have Shure e3's now, and it seems that they would not benefit from amping but are fine out of the iPod jack.

I would like something a little better for my trip (better here being defined as better detail and clarity than I get with the e3s) but still very portable. I am leaning toward this:

iPod > ALO dock > Go-Vibe 5 > Ety ER4s

It is the last two items that I don't have yet. My concern with the Go-Vibe is it's portability and whether it has good synergy with the ER4s. [I don't have time to get a Xin amp, though that could be on the long term agenda.
etysmile.gif
]

My other options are the RSA Tomahawk>ER4s or something involving the Shure E4.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 22
Why not just get the MicroBag and MicroStrap from Headroom and utilize your current MicroAmp? Its a great combo for the ER4s and iPod. Very compact and easy to carry.

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 22
well it depends on when your trip is. if you want something now, then i suggest the RSA Hornet. the delivery i've heard is very fast. however, ray might be sold out on the Hornet right now... if that's the case then perhaps the SR-71.

the tomahawk or any xin amps should be considered if you can wait a month or two.

Dec 1, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 22
That will be an extremely good traveling rig if you like the Etymotic sound. It is nearly the same as my bedside rig, except that I use an ALO mini-to-mini since I plan to get iModded soon.

You really have to like the Etymotic sound, though, because the Go-Vibe V5 will not soften the highs nor warm up the mids one bit. To me that is very much a good thing: I love the Ety sound and don't want my amp messing with it. However there are a whole lot of people who fundamentally don't like this style of presentation. If you turn out to be one of them, you'll be unhappy with this combination.

BTW I have both the standard-gain and the low-gain Go-Vibe V5. Either one will work fine with ER-4S. The standard-gain version is more suitable if you think you'd like to drive less-sensitive headphones with it sometimes. The low-gain version gives you more control if you sometimes want to listen to the Etys [size=xx-small]extremely, extremely quietly[/size]. For day-to-day use, you can choose either.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That will be an extremely good traveling rig if you like the Etymotic sound.

You guys are really helping me here. I am not sure if I will like the Ety sound or not. The hard thing with IEM's, I suppose, is that you can't just walk into Best Buy and try them out. Since I have E3s already, I can order the ER4s and learn pretty quickly which sound sig I like better. If it is the Shures, maybe then it will be time to sell the ER4s and buy the e500s.
redface.gif

At that point I'll be ready to look at the amp situation again, depending on which ones I keep and how they sound unamped and with my MicroAmp.

Thanks again.

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by otprof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking at amp and headphone combinations for an extended trip to Italy. I have Shure e3's now, and it seems that they would not benefit from amping but are fine out of the iPod jack.

I would like something a little better for my trip (better here being defined as better detail and clarity than I get with the e3s) but still very portable. I am leaning toward this:

iPod > ALO dock > Go-Vibe 5 > Ety ER4s

It is the last two items that I don't have yet. My concern with the Go-Vibe is it's portability and whether it has good synergy with the ER4s. [I don't have time to get a Xin amp, though that could be on the long term agenda.
etysmile.gif
]

My other options are the RSA Tomahawk>ER4s or something involving the Shure E4.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Very nice rig. Later when you get money and time order a Dr. Xin Supermacro-LE. the Go-Vibe drives the ER4S very nicely.

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

How would this travelling rig be?

It would be a pretty rig...

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
… ray might be sold out on the Hornet right now... if that's the case then perhaps the SR-71.

the tomahawk or any xin amps should be considered if you can wait a month or two.

Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that Ray doesn't have any more SR-71's left? Meaning, the wait would be just as long as the Hornet?

Ray would be the one to answer that, though, especially if you're on a tight schedule. His phone number is on his site.

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 22
ER4S on the way!

The trip is January 7 - February 17. A colleague and I are leading 31 college students all around Italy. So, portability and isolation are key features.
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

A colleague and I are leading 31 college students all around Italy. So, portability and isolation are key features.
blink.gif

Yeah, God forbid you have to actually watch over those kids.
etysmile.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 22
I have a question about ER4 P vs. S with the Xin. I saw mrarroyo (I think) comment that the ER4P with the Xin Supermacro 75ohm switch is equal to the ER4S (basically it just adds the extra resistance). If I decide to get in line for a Xin amp, does the S have any other benefits, or should I just get the P?

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For isolation and comfort, I'm currently favoring Comply tips, the Slim size.

Me too, albeit the regular size. I really like the comfort. They're not as sturdy as the standard Ety foamies, though.

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too, albeit the regular size. I really like the comfort. They're not as sturdy as the standard Ety foamies, though.

Really? I found that they lasted longer.
cool.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I found that they lasted longer.
cool.gif

Well, for me, the foam part tends to get loose from the tubing on the inside (the part that slides over the IEM). And when you reinsert them after they've only been out of your ear for about a couple of seconds (to listen to what someone has to say) they're very soft and feel kinda fragile.

The tubing on the Ety foamies feel a lot stronger to me. They tend to keep their shape (i.e. not distort so much) when sliding it over the IEM.

Strange that you have a different experience
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back