How would one go about turning this into a working DAC?
Nov 15, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 8
You might find some information here.

As best as I understand this is essentially the same as the 'noodle' DAC described in this thread. The primary differences being that the one you are looking at uses through hole components (so is larger) and has the PS built in. You should only need a transformer.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might find some information here.

As best as I understand this is essentially the same as the 'noodle' DAC described in this thread. The primary differences being that the one you are looking at uses through hole components (so is larger) and has the PS built in. You should only need a transformer.

Would a wallwort work?

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 8
I just completed a build of one these not long ago...of course I swapped and added parts of my own. You need a chassis, a transformer, some decent RCA jacks, a SPST toggle to select digital input, some milling skills on the chassis you choose, decent quality hook up wire, decent quality IEC and mains cabling for the inside run to the power switch (if you want one on the front panel), a 12-15V DC LED with housing (I glued mine in place on the faceplate). Some metal paint if the casing is ugly (mine was...now it's gloss black with a silver faceplate). I'm sure I forgot a couple of things...I'll add them as later when I remember them
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway here are some pics........(excuse the headphone chassis...I made do with what I could afford at the time, the vol pot does nothing but looks cool ...this DAC goes to 12...well that's one more than 11 isn't it
biggrin.gif
)

FrankenDACFinished001.jpg

FrankenDACFinished003.jpg

FrankenDACFinished.jpg

I used HDAM modules in place of the opamp stages. Apart from some serious parts upgrades and other add ons...this DAC is unreal in it's abilities to convey emotion while staying analog and razor sharp...lightning transients, incredible bass...etc etc...it's rather ordinary until the mods are completed...after that I'd put it up against any DAC under 2K. No s**t.

The optical input is directly under the coax in if anyone is wondering, the toggle selects the digital input. The digital signal is buffered with a pulse transformer. The DAC and receiver are CS4397 and CD8416 units. The DAC chip is on a socket and can be upgraded to CS's latest and greatest, the 4398.

Peete.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys.....I appreciate the kind words.

Good luck with the build aphexii. PM me if you need any help or have questions about the mods I performed on it.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back