How would I connect my devices?
Nov 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zachdini

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased Mad Dogs and I'm leaning towards either getting the c5 amp or c5d to use with them. I will be using either my iPhone 5 or MacBook Pro as a source. I'm a little confused as to how I would connect my devices to an amp or DAC.

If I get the c5d, on my laptop would I use the 3.5mm headphone out into the DAC or would I use the laptop's usb out? I've also read about some issues with the iPhone 5's lightning connector and I'll have to get the camera connection kit to use the DAC.

If I stick with the c5, it looks like I run into a similar problem with the iPhone 5. I'd either have to get the camera connection kit or just use the headphone out and double amp. How would I connect my laptop? Would I be able to use some type of usb -> 3.5mm connector or would I have to use the headphone out and double amp again?

Sorry if this is a pretty basic question. This is my first step into amps and DACs.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 6
c5d is dac/amp, it can be connected to laptop through usb port. thus onboard soundcard is bypassed. For ipod or iphone, c5d may be used only as amp.

but c5 is only amp. so you have to connect it in 3.5 mm socket of on board soundcard.

I would pick c5d.
look these threads, http://www.head-fi.org/t/647838/jds-labs-c5-c5d-pg96-portable-amp-amp-dac-appreciation-discussion-thread

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 6
The chain typically goes from Source -> DAC -> Amp -> Headphones.

If you want to use the DAC, you'll need a line out of sorts to bypass the source's internal dac (iphone dac or laptop soundcard). This will either be a line out adapter for the iphone or a usb out with the laptop. If you only have an amp, you'll just use stereo 3.5mm out to the amp.

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 6
  c5d is dac/amp, it can be connected to laptop through usb port. thus onboard soundcard is bypassed. For ipod or iphone, c5d may be used only as amp.

but c5 is only amp. so you have to connect it in 3.5 mm socket of on board soundcard.

I would pick c5d.
look these threads, http://www.head-fi.org/t/647838/jds-labs-c5-c5d-pg96-portable-amp-amp-dac-appreciation-discussion-thread

Thanks for the help. For the c5d, I read that you could use the camera connection kit (lightning to 30pin adapter) and then a LOD to bypass the internal iPhone DAC. Is this incorrect?

If I were to get a dedicated DAC in the future, would I be able to use the c5d as just an amp? I'm guessing I'd do that by using the headphone out of a DAC into the 3.5mm in of the c5d but I'd want to make sure.

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 6

If you want to use the DAC, you'll need a line out of sorts to bypass the source's internal dac (iphone dac or laptop soundcard). This will either be a line out adapter for the iphone or a usb out with the laptop. If you only have an amp, you'll just use stereo 3.5mm out to the amp.

Ahh okay, thank you! I was under the impression that I could avoid double-amping even with just an amp by using a LOD with a phone. But I'm guessing that since I'd only have an amp and no DAC, I'd have to use the 3.5mm out?

Are there many downsides to doing this? I've read people talking about double amping but I'm not quite positive what it is.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 6

The DAC is the source.  You might be counting the files, but that's strictly in the digital regime and not normally thought of as part of the string.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back