How would a MG Head OTL compare to a CMOY.
Feb 8, 2002 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jim R

Head-Fier
I use a stock CMOY with my Senn HD-600's for primarily portable use and find it to be very good although it is a definite step below the quality of my speaker system. I have been considering getting a MG Head OTL (with tube upgrade) for the times I use the 600's at home. How much improvement can I expect over the CMOY? Is the Head in a whole different league than the CMOY or is it more of a subtle improvement. I find the CMOY/600 combination to be very nice but it doesn't have the "wow" factor that I am looking for (my source is a Sony 777 SACD at home and a Panasonic CT-570 for portable). Thanks.

Feb 8, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Of what is your speaker system composed?

What kind of music do you enjoy?

And what specific problems do you have with the current headphone setup? Is that it's not exciting enough? Or are specific types of music (vocals, symphonic, etc.) not well-served? Or what?

Feb 8, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 9
Here are some pictures of my main system.

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/pix/jim

I have a dedicated listening room with multiple room treatments, Sony 777 SACD-- Silver IC's --Placette Passive Preamp ---Silver IC's -- Bel Canto Evo 200.2 --- Silver foil cables (Goertz AG-2 clones) --- Maggie 1.6's with upgraded crossovers + ACI Titan II subwoofer. My system is, in my opinion, phenomenal primarily because of the room acoustics. There is a definite wow factor - you can close your eyes and easily imagine a live performance.

I would like to try to achieve this to some degree with my cans without spending a ton of money (if this is even a realistic expectation) and am wondering if the CMOY to MG Head upgrade is a minor or major upgrade (can't find any direct comparisons in the archives).

Feb 8, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 9
I have not tried a CMOY amp so I cannot compare it to the MG Head. What I can tell you is that you should notice a big difference in sound tone and bass response with the MG Head. To it, it sounds much more "live" than solid state amps. If you listen to a well recorded orchestral piece, the room acoustics are reproduced with great detail and the reflections and hall damping comes alive. It's not as exciting sounding as more expensive sold state amps, however its lush tone and incredible warm ("wow") bass might surprise you. You've got nothing to lose, give it a try. =P

Feb 9, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 9
If you're used to such a high-end system, you should try the Berning MicroZOTL or the Melos SHA-1 or SHA-Gold, or perhaps the Earmax Pro. The MG Head OTL is a great amp (I have one), and it is worlds apart from op-amp designs like the CMOY; it makes incredibly warm, sweet, smooth, and palpable music. With the Etymotic 4S, it's absolute, utter magic.

But it also has an unacceptable level of hum, and somewhat rolled off bass, for someone used to a high-end rig. Many people on this board have had to "tweak" the MG Head to reduce the level of hum, either by twisting the power switch wires, insulating internal wires, or rotating the transformers. Do a search for more details.

Feb 9, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 9
I believe JMT also posted his impressions CMOY vs MG Head on the same MG Head tweak thread. I haven't heard the CMOY but I have compared the MG Head to the Corda, the Headroom Cosmic(?), and owned a TA. I'm not listening to opamp based headphone amplifiers anymore and I'm building more tube amps of my own concoction. Does that answer your question? :>

BTW, after the fixes to the MG Head, there is no more audible hum whatsoever.

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm a CMoy owner and have heard many of the amps discussed here at the Chicago Headroom extravaganza.
I made it tough using a pair of AKG 501s.
Many of the amps sounded good, but nothing started to sing until I hit the Wheatfield HA-2. So I would imagine if there is a price/performance break point it will be at the EarmaxPro, Wheatfield, Microzotl, Headroom Max level. I'll be just happy as I can be until I build my own tube amp. Now if there were schematics for the Max I'd try that too.

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by MirandaX
The MG Head OTL is a great amp (I have one), and it is worlds apart from op-amp designs like the CMOY; it makes incredibly warm, sweet, smooth, and palpable music. With the Etymotic 4S, it's absolute, utter magic.

But it also has an unacceptable level of hum, and somewhat rolled off bass, for someone used to a high-end rig. Many people on this board have had to "tweak" the MG Head to reduce the level of hum, either by twisting the power switch wires, insulating internal wires, or rotating the transformers. Do a search for more details.

The MG Head OTL I bought and sold had no hum whatsoever with the stock tubes, no tweaks and a $6 power cord. It sounds as if there may have been quality control issues with the original MG Head.

There are plenty of other reasons the Head may not be right for you, though. I did sell mine.

Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back