How would a Marantz 2252 be with A900s?
Jan 17, 2004 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rodbac

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying a vintage Marantz 2252 receiver. The reading I've done leads me to believe it may not be a good match with low-impedance phones like my A900s.

True?

Also, I also have a Corda HA-1 that I can use, too. Is this a stupid purchase?

I guess I'm kinda thinking out loud... Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 7
You might want a Marantz receiver such as the 2252 if:

You listen to vinyl, as the 2252 will have a decent magnetic phono stage preamplifier.

You want to drive a pair or two of speakers, and need 50+ watts per channel for the speakers to really sound their best

You already have or are considering getting a pair of AKG K1000 headphones but don't want to spend alot for a solid state amplifier that can drive these phones to their full output capability.

You have high impedance phones such as the Sennheiser HD-580 or 600 and want the flexibility of having an AM/FM stereo tuner as well as inputs for tape and auxilliary, tone controls, etc.

You like the vintage look of Marantz equipment from this period: lots of brushed aluminum, black tuning dial, and blue lights.

If the price was right, you could use it for a while and then sell if for what you paid, and maybe a bit more, but beware that shipping these heavy units is expensive and risks damage to an otherwise clean piece.

Jan 17, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 7
Excellent info as usual, mkmelt...

Now, for some stupid questions:

I listen to NO vinyl- is the phono port dead to me or can it be utilized for something else (same Q applies to the tape, et al, ports...)?

So if I'm NOT using 600s (yet
smily_headphones1.gif
), will this actually result in a decrease in SQ compared to my A900s, even if still run through my HA-1?

I love the vintage look and the idea of having a tuner on hand. If I was getting this for $230 shipped, would it be a good deal?

Jan 17, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 7
[I listen to NO vinyl- is the phono port dead to me or can it be utilized for something else (same Q applies to the tape, et al, ports...)?]

You might want to try vinyl someday, and all you would need is a turntable with a magnetic cartridge and a source for new/used vinyl, the Marantz was designed with the needed phono stage built in to the receiver (as were all receivers and integrated amplifiers before late 1980s or maybe 1990/91.

You can't use the phono input for any other source as the expected signal is only 5 millivolt, or about 50-100X lower than the typical signal of CD player or tape deck or computer sound card. These sources would overload the phono input, distort badly, and possibly damage components in the phono stage. Also, the phono stage is equalized using the inverse of the RIAA response curve that is found on all vinyl records since the late 1950s. When you play the record, the phono stage compensates by boosting the bass and cutting back the treble restoring flat response. You can use any of these high-level interchangeably for CD, computer, SACD, TV sound, etc.

[So if I'm NOT using 600s (yet ), will this actually result in a decrease in SQ compared to my A900s, even if still run through my HA-1?]

It's not that the 2252 can't drive the A900 headphones, it can do so just fine, while have mountains of reserve power for this application. However, because the headphone output of the Marantz is loaded down with a network of resistors, the resulting output impedance is between 100 ohms and 200 ohms. The A900 are rated at 32 ohms, so the frequency response of the phones may be affected such that the upper frequencies will be rolled off. It still may sound very good, but you won't know until you try.

[I love the vintage look and the idea of having a tuner on hand. If I was getting this for $230 shipped, would it be a good deal?]

Getting one practically for free would be a good deal. When I see these Marantz units being given away for $50 - $100 they gnaw at my willpower to resist the temptation to pick up another example as a spare, for a friend, or because it is just too good a deal to pass up.

Unless you are a serious collector who would only consider buying a piece of Marantz in mint condition, or if you had one way back when and are trying to rebuild your first good system, I would do more research and wait for a better deal. The best sounding Marantz units, for headphone use, are not the more powerful models. I would concentrate on the low to medium powered models (rated at 10 to 35, or perhaps 40 watts). These may actually sound better as headphone amplifiers and will cost a fraction of what the 2252 you found will cost you.

When you start to approach $250 or higher, there are better choices for headphone amplifiers including a used MG Head OTL, and vintage tube receivers and amplifiers from Fisher and Scott.

When the price starts to approach $300 or $400, then a good modern solid state headphone amplifier such as the Corda, Gillmore, Grado, or Rega is within this price range. These modern amplifiers lack the phono stage, multiple inputs, tone/balance controls, and the FM tuner of the Marantz, but they have a much smaller footprint than the Marantz equipment and depending on the headphones, may provide better sound.

Jan 17, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Hm. I would have guessed that the extra power might not do any more good with headphones, but for it to sound worse? I wouldn't have thought that...

Not to continue to monopolize your time, but why would the 2252 (@52W/ch) sound worse than a lower-power model? Not challenging you- just curious what about it would make it sound worse.

Thinking this over, too, I don't really need a ton of inputs, but I want to ditch my computer speakers and start using my Polk bookshelfs (old, big, and sound decent to noob ears), so I thought the power of the 2252 might come in handy to blow them quickly so I can justify something new
smily_headphones1.gif

In light of the fact that I want to drive speakers as well as phones, does the receiver look like a better answer (the cost notwithstanding)?

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 7
[Not to continue to monopolize your time, but why would the 2252 (@52W/ch) sound worse than a lower-power model? Not challenging you- just curious what about it would make it sound worse.]

Sometimes less is more. In the race to see who could build the most powerful receiver, in the mid to late 1970s manufacturers made design choices that would measure better on a test best, but not necessarily sound better when reproducing music. Simpler circuits with fewer components and shorter signal paths and less overall negative feedback can sometimes result in a better sounding amplifier, i.e. the Fisher 400 receiver which is a simpler design than either the 500C or the 800C and many believe is capable of better sound. Among Marantz enthusiasts, it is thought that the better sounding units are those of perhaps 30-40 watts (or even less for headphones). Just the right balance of power, warmth, and musicality. Realize that this is all very subjective, but when people will go out of their way to praise the preamplifier, amplifier, or phono stage preamp performance of a 30+ year old piece of audio gear, there is something behind the talk.

[Thinking this over, too, I don't really need a ton of inputs, but I want to ditch my computer speakers and start using my Polk bookshelfs (old, big, and sound decent to noob ears), so I thought the power of the 2252 might come in handy to blow them quickly so I can justify something new. In light of the fact that I want to drive speakers as well as phones, does the receiver look like a better answer (the cost notwithstanding)?]

You need to decide if FM is important to you. If so, a receiver is a better choice than an integrated amplifier (for the price). If not, one of the Marantz integrated amplfiers such as the 1030/1060 (early 70s) or 1040/1070 (later 70s) would be a better choice. They will be able to drive your headphones and your Polk speakers very well. Not that there aren't other good integrated amplifiers from other manufacturers such as Yamaha, Sansui, Kenwood, Technics, and Pioneer, but I like to stick with Marantz (because there are so many good models to choose from and eBay has made finding these easy) and Sansui (because I have owned one since 1976). When collecting vintage audio, it helps to focus your efforts on learning and collecting just a few brands.

BTW, Polk made some of the best sounding speakers of the late 1970s and early 1980s. The Polk Monitor 10 and Monitor 7 are well worth seeking out. I almost purchased a pair of Polk 10s back in 1980 before deciding on Magneplanar MG-I speakers. Neither the 7 or 10 can be considered bookshelf sized, but Polk also had some smaller decent sounding models. Which model do you own?

Jan 17, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks again for the replies...

My Polks don't have a name anywhere on them. The SN on the back is "5A 143679" and say PolkAudio on the bottom front, if that helps at all (I'd be curious to hear any info about them, unless it's bad, then I don't
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'd call them big for bookshelfs- they're about 2' x 1' (very rough guess- I didn't bother getting a tape measure).

Thanks for the info about receivers- I'm digging a couple, so I'll have to decide which to get here.... -rodbac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back