How Will Your NFL/College Teams Do This Year?
Oct 12, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #46 of 52
I'm a true Ohio State Buckeye Fan. Sadly this year so far isn't going to well. Our defense isn't as good as it should be and our offense sucks again this year. AND ZWICK THREW SO MANY BAD THROWS IN THE WINSCONSON GAME! However I think we'll beat michigan (we have'em at the shoe this year)
And as far as nfl goes I think this will be the eagles year to shine.

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #47 of 52
GO TROJANS!
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
I am a die hard NY Giants person and no way would i have said two months ago they would be 4 and 1.

Brand new offensive line,patchwork defense,new coach and staff,unkowns at QB.
Realistically i was looking at 4 and 12.My hope was 7 and 9.

but now i have to re-evalute this team.The only thing that has changed is they became a team way faster than i thought they could.The offensive line has come along nicely and from a predicted worst in the league they are actually becoming one of the better ones.

Kurt Warner seems to be on a mission to prove everyone wrong and that is a good motivator.the old man still has something left and the youngster need not take a beating while he learns the game.

The skill positions on offense are still solid -running game (as long as dane sits),receivers,tight end-all good.

My only concern is the ability to score points in the red zone which is dismal at best.the games won should have been blowouts and even the philly game would have been close and more of a game if the Giants could score from the twenty in.

the D ?

where did these guys come from ? The giants are playing good defense with really no horses so i have to think it is the coaching here.Good coaching with average players will win over star players out of control and not playing team ball.

A real pleasant surprise and I am enjoying sundays again

They are a pleasant surprise so far, aren't they?

Tiki Barber is having an outstanding year, he seems to have acquired a patience in his running game that allows him to wait for good openings instead of hitting the first hole available, or always seeking the sidelines. Of course, he hasn't fumbled yet which is amazing in and of itself. He is the MVP of the team so far.

Kurt Warner has certainly quieted his detractors. He hasn't done anything spectacular, but that's good. He does whats needed and since a few flubs in the Eagles game in week one, hasn't made alot of mistakes. He has proved to be the best choice at QB, I doubt Manning would be doing as good.

The red zone offense has shown some signs of life in the past two weeks, too. Someone finally woke up and realized that Shockey should be a prime weapon. Two weeks straight they isolate Shockey on the wing and both times resulted in a TD. They should continue this trend until someone effectively stops it.

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Two weeks straight they isolate Shockey on the wing and both times resulted in a TD. They should continue this trend until someone effectively stops it.

i am not sure if youcan stop shockey !

that TD pass two weeks ago was caught when he was double covered and that with no cushion !

He went up amd got the ball like lynn swan and nothing anyone could do about it.
Has the speed and route ability of a wide receiver,the size of a lineman and all heart.
Now that he is also learning to block in the running game i see no way to know what he is going to do or once it is figured out how to stop him !

And if they do it will just open up someone else and that is also cool with me
cool.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I still hate the Lions and hate that Elrod-tom gets to gloat. They look good and I think they will do OK if they can beat Green Bay.

I think that you misunderstand...I'm not gloating. You're talking about a team that was bad on a historic level the last few years. Three years without a road win is a LONG time!!

My history with the Lions goes back to 1978, when a young Gary Danielson came on late in the season, giving us hope for better things next year. They traded Greg Landry at the start of the next season...and promptly lost Danielson and his backup Joe Reed. Jeff Komlo (a late round draft choice) started most of the games that season, with help on the way to 2-14 from such luminaries as Scott Hunter and Jerry Goldsteyn.
rolleyes.gif

The next year, they drafted Billy Sims!! They start the season 4-0, and proceed to crumble late in the year. I attended my first game that year...drove down from my home in northern Michigan and stayed in a hotel with some of my buds. It was a Thanksgiving game, against the Chicago Bears. Some will remember the game I'm certain...it's often referred to as the shortest overtime game in NFL history.
eek.gif
mad.gif

A few years later, Sims injures his knee...they're bad again for several years until Barry Sanders comes on the scene. Barry of the 2nd and 12 fame...great running back, but I'm convinced that his home run or strike-out style of running ultimately cost the Lions in consistency. The only time that they won a playoff game was when the team had dedicated the season to paralyzed lineman Mike Utley.

Did I mention Wayne Fontes??
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif

Then came the Scott Mitchell era....could have been a decent QB, if not for such flux in offensive personnel and (especially) coaches. He also suffered from Tin-Man's disease...no heart!!
rolleyes.gif

Then Sanders retires a-la Ricky Williams, on the eve of training camp. Hosed again!!
mad.gif

Then we discover that, whether he's a good coach or not, Bobby Ross might be the worst personnel man in NFL history!! There is exactly ONE player left from his last (2000) team.

Oh, and don't forget Marty Mohringweg...I'm convinced that someday he'll be a good coach, but he was WAY over his head. Ditto Matt Millen, who is finally putting some good personnel together. However, it looks as though we've got a first round draft choice at reciever (Charles Rogers) who has a collarbone that...well, I've seen old women with stronger hips than his collarbone.

That's my history that I'm trying to live down...so sue me.
biggrin.gif

But they are 3-1, and they have a reasonably good chance to beat Green Bay this weekend at home. I wish I could watch the game, but I'll likely be working that day. Oh well...maybe I'll record it.

Oct 13, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #51 of 52
I don't think I have any reason to expect UCLA to do any better than they have for the last 6 or 7 years
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back