How will DT-990's break in?
Mar 10, 2007 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

barshnik

Head-Fier
I'm asking for any experience on how the 990's might change after appropriate run-in time.

I've had the DT-880's for 2 weeks, and they changed subtly after ~180 hours on them now, with smoother highs and slightly more bass - in other words, they tilted slightly downward in the sonic spectrum to my ears.

I kept wishing for ever so much more bass, and thought the 990's should be given a try. Just received them today, and have been listening for 2 hours to some very familiar music: Sting, Steely Dan, James Taylor. My initial impression is that I feel they have almost too much bass for me.

Don't know how much of that is me being used to the 880's, or lack of burn-in on the 990's or what. I'm almost wishing there was a DT-935 (exactly halfway between the 880 and 990.

If the 990's are going to change slightly with even more bass, I'm quite sure it'll be too much for me - thus my question on burn-in characteristics of this can.

I'll not be keeping both, so after a few more weeks of listening back and forth I'll have to decide which is more suited to the music I listen to (throw some classical into the mix).

Any guidance on what I should do? Thanks,

John F

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 2
I dont own any beyers, but my guess would be that, with break-in, the sound will become more refined, so probably "better" bass. Does not necessarily mean there will be less bass (I have no idea), but Im sure the bass will become much tighter and less boomy if that is what you are concerned about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back