How/where do you listen the loudest?
Oct 31, 2011 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jasonb

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering how or where you listen the loudest.

What i mean is do you find yourself listening louder with speakers at home, with the stereo in your car or with your headphones.

For me i tend to listen the loudest in my car. With my headphones and my speakers at home i tend to relax and listen harder but quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 8
It used to be with loud speakers in my apartments for 41 wonderful years. No complaints ever even when cranking it up like a maniac. That changed a few years ago after moving in to my current residence when my first complaints came from one of those crazy old complaining types who prefers slamming doors to asking politely to turn it down. The kind who even when am using headphones for three months straight with my speakers put away in the closet will suddenly start complaining about my walking on the floor. Of course never mind the fact she used to slam her door so loud like death itself was chasing her at 2 and 4 in the morning when there was nothing but silence in the building. 

I just gave up and went back to speakers but try to keep it at a normal level during the day and at nearfield low listening levels if not using headphones after 8 or 9pm. Life is too short to deny ones self the pleasures of life. At least the good thing about this is it began my exciting journey into the world of headphones after the person who runs the housing program am in suggested headphones as a partial solution to dealing with the unreasonable types. Thank goodness the Police read the situation perfectly and let me know am in the right.

So for me its normal volume during the day and nearfield listening at night or headphones at normal to almost loud levels.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 8
On my speakers, at home.

The car has a stock Pioneer system which is hopelessly bass-heavy. I decided not to spend any money on a car system. Cars are a bad listening environment and I mostly listen to NPR, where talk doesn't need the highest fidelity.

At home, I use headphones now and then when I want an intimate listening experience. But the speakers give me a much better soundstage and they thump. Great fun! And I have no neighbor to complain about rattling windows and walls.

If someone was living next to me, I'd probably be on a first-name basis with the police. :D
B

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 8
In terms of raw SPL I definitely listen the loudest in the car. I have a pretty solid JBL stock system, but it's required for it to sound even close to "flat" at highway volumes.

In terms of dB above the noise floor, I probably listen loudest when I crank my headphones once in a while for a song or two. I tend to listen to speakers at a lower level for some reason... I am not sure why. I will crank the speakers if I want to hear them from the opposite corner of the house, though
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Whenever I'm not controlling the volume.  I don't listen loud if I can help it.  I probably listen loudest in the car because of background noise, but I don't listen in the car that much.  I listen to music 4-10 hours a day so if I listen loud, I'd damage my hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back