How well does the MS-2 handle classical or ambient/electronica?
Feb 28, 2006 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gshan

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone prefer the MS-2 for classical or electronica over other popular open cans near this range? (ex: DT880, HD580/600/650, AKG 501/601/701) If yes, why?

I'll be quite honest...the MS-1s blew my socks off with its presentation of bass and female vocals. The overall clarity did leave something to be desired though...and I could use a wider soundstage. Will MS-2s (with the bowls I suppose) give me big improvements in both of those fields?

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 7
Haha! Someone reply please! I'm thirsting for more info on the MS2 before I go get one!

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 7
i have the grado 325i, so you can take the following however you want. i think the grado 325i's greatest strengths are acoustic music, especially chamber classical, jazz, and acoustic rock/folk. others may disagree, but that's my taste. but the clarity of strings and horns on grado 325i, often means i grab them for acoustic music, including chamber music. with a large orchestra, the sounds sometimes get too mashed together for me, but in small acoustic ensembles they can be stunning. however, that doesn't mean they slouch with larger groups like orchestral music either, and i still probably use them more than the hd580's for this. depends on my mood and recording i guess.

as far as ambient/electronica, i prefer bassier, warmer headphones that surround me with sound better, meaning i grab my hd580's. the 325i's still have good present bass, although the brightness overshadows this a bit and the hd580's bass goes deeper and is fuller.

also, i think having big soundstage on electronica is really cool. the way electronica is created makes the mixing possibilities unlike any other music, and the recording can really create a sense of space, which is awesome on big soundstage headphones. that's one of the coolest attributes of electronica, kind of a shame to not take that rare opportunity to let the soundspace of headphones really shine with a headphone that can do it (my 325i's really don't have much soundstage at all compared to the enormous space of something like the senns).

but the grados definately excel with small ensemble acoustic stuff, especially strings.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 7
the MS-2 sounded very good for classical and electronica when I had it.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 7
I wouldn't really pick the MS2i for those types of music. I use mine as a secondary headphone for rock and jazz.

Classical really demands a wide soundstage and the ability to handle a lot of different things at once. The HD650 or DT880 handled this well, and you could pick out all the things going on very easily. Due to the shallow soundstage on my MS2i, it didn't jive as well. I'd look elsewhere for that type of music, but if you want a rock headphone, I'd say MS2i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back