How well do you know your equipment??
Aug 30, 2005 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tasty

Head-Fier
It's not hard to tell that I'm reasonably new to the world of headphones and hi quality audio. While I claim to care very much about the sound quality of my headphones, I admittedly don't know squat about the actual technicalities of my rig that make them sound "better" than generic others.

For instance, I've not the slightest technical knowledge of how some Sennheiser cans are supposedly "technically superior" to Grados (I'm sure as hell not suggesting that they are, but what some claim), nor what the classes of amplifiers mean and what it suggests about the corresponding quality of sound reproduction.

How the hell do you guys remember all that stuff anyways!?
600smile.gif

Just as a curiosity, how much do fellow headfi-ers actually know about their cans, and do you feel that a depth of technical knowledge is necessary to "truly" appreciate the sound of a set of cans?

Aug 30, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 3
I believe whatever the head-fi machine tells me.

How do we remember all that stuff? Neil implants chips into our brains. No, seriously, you just kinda pick it up along the way. When I first came here, I had no friggin' clue what these weirdos were talkin' bout. Now I'm a weirdo. And the noobs don't know what I'm talkin' bout. Do you?
tongue.gif

Quote:

do you feel that a depth of technical knowledge is necessary to "truly" appreciate the sound of a set of cans?

Hmm . . dunno. I'd say yes, but I'm not too sure myself.

Aug 30, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasty
and do you feel that a depth of technical knowledge is necessary to "truly" appreciate the sound of a set of cans?

Not that I'm really in a position to come off sounding like someone who knows anything...
wink.gif

...but I don't think so.

Sure, I can see how a deep technical knowledge could/would help with selecting the "best" 'phones for your use, but I really don't think that you need to know the whys and wherefores about them (or any part of your kit, for the matter) to enjoy the sound that comes out of them.

As for me... I only know that I like what I have enough to not get rid of it, but not enough to stop buying more
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back