How well do these Stax volume/power combo knobs hold up?
Sep 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

YCH

New Head-Fier
I only have the entry level Stax SR-2170 set (bundles the SR-207 headphone and SRM-252S) that came with my Realiser, and the thing about the SRM-252S is that it has one of those icky combo power/volume knobs. In other words, to turn the unit off, I have to turn it all the way down until it clicks the unit off. Then to turn the unit back on, I have to turn it the other way until it clicks on and reaches the volume I want. In general, I'm not a big fan of analog knobs because they wear out etc so I try not to turn them too much, but then I also don't like having the STAX on 24/7 either so I've been turning it off every night. Anyone know how long these things hold up over time?

Can't believe Stax was too cheap or whatever to include a dedicated power button on the SRM-252S. It's on every other more expensive amp they sell.

edit: I've thought of pulling the barrel connector at the back to power the unit on or off that way but it seems very unelegant and possibly damaging to do every day (each insert/removal causes lots of voltage/current transients due to the contacts cutting in and out during the insert/removal).

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't know about the specific STAX device here, but I have some older gear from the 1970s/1980s that still runs and uses that style (some table radios and portable devices). I think overall the design *can* last, but it depends on the specific component and it's quality (just like pots in general can suck or not suck).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back