How well can an ipod drive the ety er-4S?
Jun 27, 2005 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

phishoutofwater

New Head-Fier
Yes, I know that the P model is made for portables. I also am aware of the cable that converts the P into S. Every comparison I've read has said the the S picks up more detail than the P model. I will be buying these headphones simply for ipod use. Anyone use the S model with an ipod? Any advice would be great.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 15
i've tried a pair of er4s out of my 3g ipod and i had to turn it up almost all the way to get a decent volume. maybe you should consider getting the er4p with a 4s converter cable instead. then you'd get the best of both worlds.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 15
You had to turn the volume up all the way? I really don't want to buy the P and the cable (another 65 bucks) to convert to S. I've already decided that I will look like a dork (I think the ER4 is pretty ugly) with these phones...but with another cable (to covert to S) I would look even dumber. I've just read about how much better the S sounds that I really don't want to "settle" for the P. None of the reviews said that they had to max out the volume for the S. Thanks for the input though. I'd like to hear from people that have tried them. Thanks again. Any other advice?

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 15
I don't think there is a big difference in sound quality or detail just that the 4p has more mid-bass. With the iPod this might be a good thing...

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 15
It's hard for me to understand how anyone can like the iPod->4S combination, but obviously some people do. The more you try to turn the volume up, the more thin and brittle the sound gets - until you run into the brick wall of insufficient volume because of the 4S' impedance. IMO, those phones need some serious amping to have even a chance of producing a pleasing sound. iPod's not it.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 15
I tried mine unamped from my iPod. Sounded weak and lifeless. I wouldn't do it again unless I had the 4P.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by phishoutofwater
Yes, I know that the P model is made for portables. I also am aware of the cable that converts the P into S. Every comparison I've read has said the the S picks up more detail than the P model. I will be buying these headphones simply for ipod use. Anyone use the S model with an ipod? Any advice would be great.

The answer is DO NOT DO IT. Buy the 4P. You have been warned. Seriously, you'd be very sorry, and you'd miss 70% of your 4S potential.

Xin has alternatives to the expensive cable, you can even have crossfeed:
http://www.fixup.net/products/index.htm

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 15
I personally wouldn't mind buying the ER-4S over the ER-4P for portable use unless you really want to go unamped all the way. With the $65 you could have spent on a P-->S adaptor, you could get a very nice portable amp like the PAv2 or the go-vibe. if you think that having a portable amp isn't for you because you have a rugged outdoor lifestyle or something, then I would reconsider getting the ER-4 in general, since it's quite an investment, and for portable use you wouldn't be able to sit down and fully enjoy its quality sound (especially if you are moving around or walking down the streets or something).

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm pretty much with Teerawit here. I think the ER-4S does sound pretty good out of the iPod, though the volume is definitely limited. Both the ER-4P and the ER-4S improve a lot with an amp, so saving a few bucks to put toward that amp is not a bad idea.

I found I just couldn't listen happily to the ER-4P. The tonal balance is off enough to really bother me, so I wound up using the 4P->4S cable full time, even unamped.

Another alternative, well worth considering, is to go with the ER-4P and plan on buying one of Xin's amps that has an internal 4P->4S converter. The small size is the next best thing to going ampless, and the amp delivers a lot of sonic improvement.

Finally, something you should know is that the 4P and 4S have different cabling (or did the last time I checked with Etymotic a few months ago). The 4S has a somewhat rubbery cable leading to the Y-connection, and rubbery cables leading away from it. The 4P has a plastic-coated cable leading to the Y-connection, and much, much lighter braided cables leading away from it to the earpieces. I find the lightweight braided cable less of a hassle to deal with than the rubbery cable, so on the whole I'm happier with the 4P plus adaptor than I would be with the stock 4S. But your mileage may vary; some people feel the rubbery cable is less microphonic.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
Another alternative, well worth considering, is to go with the ER-4P and plan on buying one of Xin's amps that has an internal 4P->4S converter. The small size is the next best thing to going ampless, and the amp delivers a lot of sonic improvement.

I'd say that's perfect - 4P quality everywhere, full 4S bliss when you want it. I just remembered that I recently uncapped my iPod (Europe...) and am just giving it a go with my 4S and Xin's Xinfeed adaptor (ampless version, I cannot bear being without crossfeed). There is plenty of volume at the top end of the dial, so 95-100%. But. This is me sitting at my desk, no street/bus/subway to drown out. Also, the whole thing lacks the control and polish an amp adds. There is not as much bass and it has less texture as the 4S are capable off, and when close to 100% volume the highs even become a bit exausting and slightly tinny. Enough volume does not mean enough power. So if your iPod is uncapped - it can be done. You will still miss potential, and unless you MP3gain your material to 99/100db (my tracks are all at 96db) you won't have much room upwards. The 4P should really be the better pick since it is so conveniently upgradeable with Xin's amps. I may take the 4S with me on my commute sans amp tomorrow and give a final impression.

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 15
after doing all the research, i bought the er4p with the s adaptor and have never looked back nor regretted my decision in doing so.... the ipod really needs the 4p if you go unamped (especially in with outside noise). however, for the pure bliss of sound, i'll plug in s adaptor. it looks no more dorky, hardly noticeable at all. if the ipod is your primary source (as it is mine right now), trust me -- the extra money is worth it! get the 4p and then one of the adaptors to make it into the s (which really is superior quality -- though wasted in all but the quietess of situations).

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by phishoutofwater
thank you guys so much for the advice. i think i'm going to go with the er4p and check out that amp with the built in conversion thing. i didn't know an amp like that existed. thank you so much!

I hope Xin releases his new Mini & Micro soon...

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 15
I think a DIY pimeta does a great job with the er-4s. I am not sure about other amps. I love the ER-4. I have them EQ'ed on my Karma just right. They sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back