How weak is your neck?
Oct 23, 2005 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

false

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I've been coming to Head-Fi for a little over a year now. Head-fi is a great place, tons of info and for the most part mature discussion. One thing that I've noticed over that year is that people who like headphones seem to have extraordinarily weak necks. It baffles me.
I own the Alessandro MS-2i. I’ve read in a fair number of reviews that they are too heavy. Given they are probably not the lightest set of cans in the world, but they are not heavy enough that I strain to keep my head upright. If I do the math though saying these things are too heavy and strain my neck seems a little silly.

- I weigh about 180lbs
- My Alessandro MS-2i's weigh roughly 10oz/275g (I measured on 2 different cooking scales)
- 10 oz is about .625 of a pound.
-.625lb is 0.345% of my total body weight (.625 / 180 * 100 = .345)

Are some people here really not capable of supporting even .5% of their body weight on their head? I’m not trying to flame people, I just find it odd that some people can't seem to support such a relatively small weight on their head.

Edit, for reference my beanie weighs 1.9oz, my ChiSox NewEra cap weighs 3.9 oz, my Girlfriends glasses weigh 1.4 oz, my Dragon Snowboard goggles weigh 5.1oz.

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 25
When people say heavy, I dont think they are complaining about the burden of the weight.
Its more of a comfort issue; when im sitting and jamming to tunes for a couple hours on my couch-I want as limited awareness of whats on my head as possible.

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 25
I have never heard anyone complain about a sore neck on here.

My complaint with Grado comfort extends across the entire line, but more so with the metal Grados (325(i), MS-2(i), PS-1) because the excess weight makes them sit uncomfortably on the top of my head where their headbands offer no cushioning. In addition, the supra-aural nature of the pads causes them to make my ears sore after extended listening, and this issue is heightened with the heavier metal models. But this is just me, others may not be bothered by these issues at all.

I love the lightweight of my HF-1's because their comfort is tolerable for me. But after about an hour I need to give my ears a break. They sound awesome though so it's worth the minor pain.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 25
I think this must be a sideswipe at the fellow who complained about the "great" weight of the new AKG 701. Given their actual weight, I took that to be a joke. Some thought otherwise.
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by false
Are some people here really not capable of supporting even .5% of their body weight on their head? I’m not trying to flame people, I just find it odd that some people can't seem to support such a relatively small weight on their head.

My MS2is are >0.5% of my body weight, thankyouverymuch.
biggrin.gif
While I don't think that the MS2i is ridiculously heavy, compared to other headphones, they are rather heavy. I agree with Borat that it's more of a headband cushioning issue.

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 25
It was not so much my neck as the pressure on my head. That gave me a headache, a real one, after only a couple of minutes. I had to use extra padding to cure that but then you stil have the problem of the discomfort on your ears. And I also find that weight on my head a bit uncomfortable by itself. So I gave up.

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 25
If there's people whose neck can't carry a pair of headphones then please, GO TO THE GYM!

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 25
Also, it's not so much that some of us have weak necks but more in that most of us don't usually have our neck supporting much more than the weight of our head(weights of hats, glasses, etc. are negligible). So when we're wearing headphones, that puts on extra weight that neck muscles usually don't experience.

Oct 23, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 25
Hey,

Every one here makes some good points. I was speaking of headphone weight in general, not just MS-2i's. I agree they aren’t the most ergonomic things in the world. They just happened to be what I had to measure with.

I guess I've always associated complaining about the weight of cans as a physical burden issue. Now that its pointed out I can totally see weigh as being a distraction/awareness issue.

And yes, that AKG 701 post was what got me going on this
biggrin.gif
Usually I'm pretty good at picking up Internet forum humour but all I could think was “crap, how weak are you that can't support those on your head”

Oct 23, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 25
I guess someone needs to type up some neck exercises for the winers. We can even make it a sticky!

Oct 23, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 25
I don't think anyone has weak necks, it's just that most phones are pretty light, and having something like an aluminum grado on your ear feels "weird". Look at stock phones, they're usually just cheap light plastic that disappears from your head. That's the point of reference for most people.

And is it me, or are the noobs making stranger and stranger topics?

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
And is it me, or are the noobs making stranger and stranger topics?

Yeah, it's you. Noob is kind of a relative term, don't you agree?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back