How uncomfortable are grados?
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

LightDarkSonic

100+ Head-Fier
I have yamahas pro 400 which I do find uncomfortable, anyone that has both can compare them?

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 23
I'm interested as well, Grado ear pads seem super cheap and fragile, like they are the kind of foam that completely disintegrates after a few years

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 23
They really seem lke that on pics, I really wanna know if they are any worse than my Yamahas which clamp fairly tight and hurt my ears a little over time, if they aren't then I really plan on buying a pair.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 23
Ive had Grado pads for years and they have yet to 'disintegrate'...its pretty much a non-issue.

Comfort is subjective. @cossix I know you find the LCD-2 too heavy...I personally never had an issue with them when I owned my pair.Grados on the other hand I do find uncomfortable.They pin my rather small ears to my skull and it gets irritating.I personally like the sound of Grados,but because of the comfort thing I no longer own a pair...YMMV.

They do not clamp hard ala HD600s,nor are they heavy.If youre sensitive to having your ears pinned you can get the G-Cush bowls that essentially mitigate the ear pinning issue,however they(like all Grado pads)greatly alter the sound signature.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 23
How uncomfortable are grados?

Out of the box, potentially pressing on the upper earlobe, can get painful after an hour or so. Otherwise, at least it's not as hot, if your ambient air isn't cool.

You can bend the headband to take on the shape of the second gen HiFiMan headbands - wider at center, sharper curve near the gimbals. Only downside is if you can't hangbang with Grados on before, you definitely should not headbang after reshaping the headband.

That said, if I get Grados I'd get the RS2e and invest on the Headphile C-Pads to fit Beyer earpads on them (they still need the headband reshape). For the plastic Grados, you can use a 3D printer, that way there won't be a start contrast in material and it's not going to cost you $200.

Alternately, there's the Philips SHP9500S. Kind of like the SR60e. Direct replacement pads are not available but when the stock ones really wear out just cut them out and Brainwavz HM5 oval pads will fit. The only real downside is 1) you can't buy drivers if either fails and 2) plastic construction can't be reshaped as you can with metal.

I'm interested as well, Grado ear pads seem super cheap and fragile, like they are the kind of foam that completely disintegrates after a few years

For the most part that has to do with the clamp, and then following that, they're exposed, unlike other earpads that have leather or at least velour protecting the foam from moisture.

Think of it this way - take a pack of two dishwashing foams, open it, set one on the counter and sometimes place a light and dry load on it. Use the other one as you would a dish foam. After one week, that's kind of like Grados after a few months.

I had the SR225 and the Sennheiser yellow foams didn't last any longer; ditto Koss PortaPros and their foam pads. My brother has the SR80e and hasn't changed the earpads since he bought them - rarely used (ie he doesn't get clamping pressure nor sweat on them), he lives in a dry and cool climate (no ambient humidity either, doesn't sweat on them when he does use them).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 23
Tried my broken pair of Yamaha pro 400 and Jesus now I know how I took the comfort, it's sooooo much more comfortable than my new pair, the new one clamps so much tighter, hope the grado comfort is more akin to the old pair. Wanted badly to test first hand but don't know anyone of any place which I can test it. My head isn't particularly big nor small I think so maybe I won't have too much issue.

Edit: Thought it might be a good idea to flex it a bit and it improved remarkably, best idea I had today.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 23
Original black Grado earpads do disintegrate to dust long before 5 years, all of them!
I have bought some new earpads on eBay, from China, a bit cheaper than original Grado, but not really "CHEAP" !
Looks better in material too, and better comfort.
These do not show signs of going to dust yet after 5 years!
The standard earpads does not go around my ears, they stay over my ears, so they do not stay very well positioned unless you make them clamp too hard.
So there is your choice, clamp or don't move too much!
Grado's anyhow are not for use outdoors, as they are completely open.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 23
With the g-cushions, I've found the light wood models to be some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 23
If you like the sound of an RS1 with the G-cushions. you are lucky!
I do not. But yes, they are comfortable.
SR325, the Golden version, is OK with the larger cups, sound is very different too from the RS1!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #10 of 23
I absolutely loved my RS1e with the g-cushions. I sold them to finance an upgrade and am now kind of regretting my decision.

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 23
Are grados good just for rock? Can they play well other genres?

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 23
They play everything.
But they have a sharp sound, need an amplifier that suits them.
If not, they can give piercing treble.
But also very big difference between models!
RS1 is very different from SR325!

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 23
Would the E17 or Magni 2 do the job? The Magni is a bit bright and the E17 isn't the smoothest

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back