HOW TO: Wrap your cables
Feb 11, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tylernol

Head-Fier
In this thread, I want to discuss cable wrapping. The way I learned to wrap cables properly will be outlined in my initial post. Hope this hasn't been discussed before.. I didn't search
redface.gif

[size=medium]Over-Under Method:[/size]

Step 1: Take the cable and hold the end of it in your right hand, palm facing upward. The apex of the cable (whether it be the USB connection, prongs or your favorite headphones) should be facing away from you and come to end right outside of your grip.
CIMG0360.JPG

CIMG0360-2.JPG

Step 2: Start with an under-wrap. This is different then a normal forward rolling motion of the cable.

Step 2a: What you do is grab about 6" down on the cable with your left hand, in the same fashion as the holding hand, only the opposite direction. The cable's "tail" should go away from you.
CIMG0361-1.JPG

Step 2b: Take your left hand and twist your wrist so your palm is facing down. The loop you just made is what needs to go in your right hand.
CIMG0362-1.JPG

CIMG0361.JPG

Step 2c: Grasp the cable with your right hand, and the cable's tail will be facing you now, but it will go under itself and dangle.
CIMG0363-1.JPG

Step 3: The over-wrap. Grab another 6" down the cable and just simple swing it over your hand and grab it. It shouldn't be complex, just take it and wrap it around.
CIMG0363.JPG

CIMG0364-1.JPG

CIMG0364.JPG

CIMG0365-1.JPG

CIMG0365.JPG

CIMG0366.JPG

Step 4: Repeat Step 2, then 3, then 2, then 3.
CIMG0367.JPG

Step 5: The cable tie. It is a good idea to get a tie of some sort, like the velcro ones that you attach to the end of cables. When the cable has been properly wrapped, use the velcro to secure the wrap.

When you use this method of cable wrapping, the cable becomes very accesible when in need. You simply grab the top end of the coil, and lift. The rest of the cable flows seemlessly into place and you have the entire cable. No knots, no tangles, no bumps or lumps. This way of cable wrapping maintains the internal structure of the cable. It can be used for anything: USB, power, mouse, VGA, or even watering hose.

It takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's hard to wrap a cable "normal" again!
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 25
No. In fact, this is (to my knowledge) the best way to wrap cables as it doesn't tangle them. If you have ever wrapped a cable around itself (to hold it tight) you will notice that the cable has tendencies of the way it bends. It is no longer straight, or loose. It has bends and "goes" in directions.

Try this method out!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I learned this method from a coworker who used to work for some company working with cables. High-end, low-end, big or small. He would wrap them up and unwrap them all day long (doing w/e it was he did).

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 25
Pictorial needed.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pictorial needed.

Pictorial posted. Some of the pics are bad. When somebody can help me take pictures, I'll post some better ones
biggrin.gif

Don't shoot me. I shoot back...

Tyler

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there people who don't know how to wrap their cables?

Ever been to a friend's house and used the extension cord that takes 10 minutes to untangle?

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever been to a friend's house and used the extension cord that takes 10 minutes to untangle?

nah, all my friends use virtual dynamics extension cords, so they don't get kinked
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dspargo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can some please post instructions on how to insert a plug into a power outlet?

also pics for each step!! not too good with just words im afraid

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dspargo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can some please post instructions on how to insert a plug into a power outlet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also pics for each step!! not too good with just words im afraid

Perhaps you two could team up and develop a useful guide.

Remember, head-fi attracts people of all age groups with varying levels of hi-fi and world experience.

I wish I could get my teenagers to wrap a cable correctly after use.

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

When you use this method of cable wrapping, the cable becomes very accesible when in need. You simply grab the top end of the coil, and lift. The rest of the cable flows seemlessly into place and you have the entire cable. No knots, no tangles, no bumps or lumps. This way of cable wrapping maintains the internal structure of the cable. It can be used for anything: USB, power, mouse, VGA, or even watering hose.

The first time I used an L3000, I realized that coiling and uncoiling it and preserving its internal structure was different from other headphones such as the K701 or HD650. The L3000's stock cable is stiffer and is more structured. It requires the coiling technique described by the OP, or else it becomes twisted and the internal wires are at risk of being damaged.

I use the same coiling technique with aftermarket headphone cables, including Moon Audio, Enigma Audio, APureSound and Stefan AudioArts. These aftermarket cables are also stiffer and not as flexible as the stock K701 or HD650 cable, and cannot be handled and coiled the same way. They also require using the OP's technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back