how to wire a 3.5mm plug? (PIC 10KB)
Feb 20, 2007 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

emericanchaos

100+ Head-Fier
having trouble wiring my connector. i read the how to make an interconnect thread but i'm still slightly confused (measure twice cut once).

switchcraftpaintnp9.jpg

how you like my drawing?
icon10.gif

ok so i have this connector. on the top half. obviously the big peice on the left that clamps the to cable is my ground. so it's the other two i'm curious about.

from the looks of the make your own cable thread:

#3 = Ground
#2 = Right
#1 = Left

in my picture is this correct?

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 13
and what's this clear plastic tube thing that came with the connector? just a sleeve to keep the bits from touching the outside peice of the jack?

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. that is what the plastic insulator is for.
wink.gif

Since your image is useless I have to ask:
What specific plug are we typing about here?

jack3.png

i can't read those schematic things yet. they look like hyroglyphics.

Code:

Code:
[left] 35HDBAU Switchcraft 3.5mm Stereo Plug with Black Handle and Gold Plug[/left]

that's the plug i'm using. if i'm looking at the picture you posted correctly then my signal wires are correct, just a matter of determining which is what.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 13
There should be one of the connections that looks like it is connected to the center of the plug, that is the tip and left channel.

If you have a dmm, use the diode tester (continuity) to test.. it should beep when you have a connection. Or use resistance.

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should be one of the connections that looks like it is connected to the center of the plug, that is the tip and left channel.

If you have a dmm, use the diode tester (continuity) to test.. it should beep when you have a connection. Or use resistance.

ok cool then my pic is correct. the tab with the circle cut out would be the right channel (ring=right) and the bit that clamps on would be the ground.

i'll see if i can borrow a multimeter and test my joints.

this is also my first time soldering.
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 13
how would i test to find out which wire on the other end is which channel? the wire i'm using is 4 different conductors but only comes in 2 white and 2 blue. i used the two blue ones for my ground leaving the white ones for L and R.

i had the idea to plug the cable in and pan all the way to the left and test for voltage with a meter. if i'm getting any kind of numbers i should have the right wire, correct?

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 13
That would be one way to do it. If you have access to a dmm, then they usually have the diode tester to check for continuity (connection) and will beep if there is connection. If you plan on doing more electronics, you may want to buy a basic tester.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be one way to do it. If you have access to a dmm, then they usually have the diode tester to check for continuity (connection) and will beep if there is connection. If you plan on doing more electronics, you may want to buy a basic tester.

i'm going to mess with little projects, making interconnects and cables, and if i decide i like it i'll jump in and get a dmm. the hope is to make some of the DIY amp kits.

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 13
This was really useful for me, I'm wrestling with this (admittedly simple) project right now.

BTW, DMMs are unbelievably cheap.. it's hardly an 'investment'. I use this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90899

It's simple but it works fine.. it's $3. Shipping is about $7.. so there's your (very basic but totally functional) DMM for $10.

Thanks again for the 3.5mm wiring info!

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhm5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go. You can bend the R & L to get them out of the way of each other when soldering.

jackconncf3.png

Video How To

Thanks mlhm5!

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhm5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go. You can bend the R & L to get them out of the way of each other when soldering.

jackconncf3.png

Video How To

thank you sir.

glad this thread helped some others as well. feel strange talking about soldering connectors when all the threads around me are talking about building amps and other complicated things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back