How to wash your HD 650 Velour Pads
Apr 30, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #16 of 26
I don't think you can dryer these. I tried blowdrying them with low heat and the plastic tape like ring holding the velour onto the hard plastic ring shriveled.

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #21 of 26
Thank you to all the people that left useful tips. Here are some that I can add:

Pull from the inside of the cup, not the outside, and pull from the middle. They pop right out if you do that.

Use shampoo for soap. It's milder than laundry detergent and is designed to deal with the oils your head/ears excrete.

Do not put the ear cups in the drier, even on low. Heat will damage the foam and the plastic backing.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #22 of 26
For those who were wondering on how to wash HD 650 velour pads, you'll be interested in this post.

Well my HD 650 pads were getting oily, mashed down, and generally dirty so I decided it was time to clean them. Reading on around Head-Fi the only answers I found were wiping them with damp cloth, etc. That didn't seem enough. They looked durable enough, so I just gave them a bath in normal clothes detergent and water. Scrubbed them up a bit with my hands. Squished any excess water out. Threw them in the machine dryer with my laundry for an hour. The result: I found that using "cottons" setting to dry them resulted in a bit of harshness in the upper treble while the "perm and press" setting resulted in a more open sound stage, overall better imaging with an improved airiness.... hahaha just joking.

Basically it worked fine. Nothing was wrong with the pads when I took them out with my laundry. They're nice, fluffy, clean, and fresh smelling now. Didn't shrink. So basically I'm just telling you guys its perfectly ok to wash and machine dry your HD 650 pads
o2smile.gif
. I probably wouldn't machine wash them though since they'd probably be loose and flying around in your washer's drum creating all sorts of racket. lol.

I noticed that my ear pads needed cleaning on my Qpad QH-1339 headset. After reading your thread I decided to take of the earpads and wash them with clothes detergent and water in the sink. When I started washing them the water turned yellowish. I guess it was fat. Later I washed them with water only. Then I tried to dry them with a hair drier and then noticed that I could squeeze out pretty much water from them. I did not dry them with the hair dryer for long because I was afraid it was too hot for the glue in the pads. So now I have put them on the radiator.
I think they are cleaner now because I saw the water turn yellow which is proof that they were dirty.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 26
I'm having a lot of direct ear pressure from pads. I originally was using the Sennheiser yellow HD414's with great success. Switched to the Jumbo G-cush pads and the pad pressure limits my listening to about 30 mins. Can anyone recommend the best way to soften these G-cush pads up a bit?

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 26
Items Needed:
1 * Salad Spinner
1 * Laundry Detergent
1 * Source of water

How I washed them:
Step 1: Add water to the salad spinner (tosser) [Make sure to not add more than half the bowl of water this is going to spin]
Step 2: Add Laundry Detergent
Step 3: drop the earpads into the soapy water
Step 4: pull the string to spin the salad spinner
Step 5: Repeat step 4 until you are tired and done
Step 6: Drain the dirty soapy water
Step 7: Run Luke warm water over earpads
Step 8: Push soft side of earpads in on each other, one in each hand push hands together
Step 9: Put back into the salad spinner
Step 10: pull the string to spin the salad spinner
Step 11: drain water repeat 9-11 until "dry"
Step 12: leave out to dry the rest of the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back