how to value used headphones
Apr 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jslevine

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

New to the board, interesting place. I've got a set of like-new Grado RS2i headphones that I've been trying to unload (don't fit me) and have been stumbling on audiocircle trying to figure out their value? My set also includes the 15 foot Grado extension cord. I paid like $495 retail for these things about late 2010 but hardly ever use them--how do you determine what a fair market value is for something like this (they are not made any more, been replaced I think by the Grado 500?)

Best,

Jay
(952) 261-3497
jay.s.levine@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
I did but have not found any examples of the Grado RS2i, only the older model RS2--my guess is these are too new and that people like them and hold on to them.

Just did a search and I saw several. Asking prices anywhere from $350 to $450. You might have to look at some that have sold to see what the seller was asking for them. Or either PM one of the sellers and see what he/she got for it.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 14
I actually posted that deal and bought one. Chances are that it was a mistake and that price will not happen again. I had them in my wish list for months with no movement and as you probably know Grado prices are pretty much set in stone. Here on the classifieds people seem pretty happy paying slight premiums to buy used from fellow headfiers. 
Quote:
For a matter or a few hours just a couple days ago, EE through Amazon sold new ones for $395 shipped.

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 14
Value is based on too many factors to give a definite answer:
1) supply and demand
If there's a flood of a certain model in the for sale with very few people buying, prices will have to be more competitive.
2) condition
If it's kept in prestine condition, less value will be lost. I saw a pair of es10s sell for like 225 or so because it was heavily scratched.
3) age
Since warranty is always based on age, as well as age playing a role in degradation, this is important. The main problem from what I heard with the jecklin float is just that the foam disintegrated over time
These are just to name a few. There are others such as rarity, accessories (original box, original parts) and more

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
I actually posted that deal and bought one. Chances are that it was a mistake and that price will not happen again. I had them in my wish list for months with no movement and as you probably know Grado prices are pretty much set in stone. Here on the classifieds people seem pretty happy paying slight premiums to buy used from fellow headfiers. 

I'm not so sure.  I've seen Grados discounted before--albeit not this in this dollar amount, but close with regard to the % of discount.  I have usually seen it done with a coupon code.

EE is known to discount beyond the norm and perhaps creatively with open boxes (who knows when, how or by whom they were opened).

The RS2 seems to be a step child of the line. I would not be surprised if EE (through Amazon in the wee morning hours) decided to dump some of their excess and aging inventory for some cash.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 14
I usually fish around to find the current going market price of the pair that I'm trying to sell brand new, then I see how much others are selling their used pair for (accounting for condition), then I set my price accordingly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back