How to use SB X7 with a headphone amp
Feb 3, 2018 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

davebruno

New Head-Fier
So I have the X7 but have just ordered an upgrade for my headphones (AD700 > Bayerdynamic T1).

I read they're really hungry, I know X7 is rated for 600ohm but I want the most out of them.

If I was to buy a seperate headphone amp how would I connect it so I can still use SBX 5.1 decoding and EQ and other settings from the X7? Would this double amp and be pointless or..?

Thanks

Dave

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 5
If I was to buy a seperate headphone amp how would I connect it so I can still use SBX 5.1 decoding and EQ and other settings from the X7? Would this double amp and be pointless or..?

Use a DAC and HPamp or a one box DAC-HPamp with optical input fed by the optical output on the X7. Just double check with Creative to make sure the DSP features will apply to that but it should, since the DSP chip usually handles SPDIF conversion instead of a separate SPDIF output chip.

It's digital so it won't "double amp," but you'll basicaly have the X7 which is a fairly large chassis with most of its features unused.

Personally I'd be more inclined to just use the T1 with the X7, or sell the X7 and get a cheap PCI-E soundcard with the same DSP features, then use that card's optical output into a DAC-HPamp with SPDIF optical input.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Use a DAC and HPamp or a one box DAC-HPamp with optical input fed by the optical output on the X7. Just double check with Creative to make sure the DSP features will apply to that but it should, since the DSP chip usually handles SPDIF conversion instead of a separate SPDIF output chip.

It's digital so it won't "double amp," but you'll basicaly have the X7 which is a fairly large chassis with most of its features unused.

Personally I'd be more inclined to just use the T1 with the X7, or sell the X7 and get a cheap PCI-E soundcard with the same DSP features, then use that card's optical output into a DAC-HPamp with SPDIF optical input.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I just ask what would be coming out from the optical? Would it be a 2.0 stereo signal with everything already processes such as 5.1 decoded into 2.0 and chat volume mixed into game sound etc?

The X7 has a lot of useful features such as the mixing of different inputs so I'm hoping to keep all of that functionality.. I belive it has an option to setup as a pre-amp, would this be right? there are RL outputs on the back which I belive are unamped? - could I used RL out into an AMP and skip the DAC or is there more benefit to having a DAC in the stack?

Thanks again

Dave

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Can I just ask what would be coming out from the optical? Would it be a 2.0 stereo signal with everything already processes such as 5.1 decoded into 2.0 and chat volume mixed into game sound etc?

The X7 has a lot of useful features such as the mixing of different inputs so I'm hoping to keep all of that functionality.. I belive it has an option to setup as a pre-amp, would this be right? there are RL outputs on the back which I belive are unamped? - could I used RL out into an AMP and skip the DAC or is there more benefit to having a DAC in the stack?

Technically, it should be all that, because that's generally how it is with most soundcards, but just to make sure, I did say double check with Creative if the signal that makes it into the DAC and headphone amp circuit using all those DSPs would basically be what comes out of its SPDIF output. I dont't really see why it wouldn't work that way because, again, that's how it is with internal cards, but given software concerns, there could be a bit of difference there.

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 5
So I have the X7 but have just ordered an upgrade for my headphones (AD700 > Beyerdynamic T1).
I read they're really hungry, I know X7 is rated for 600-Ohm but I want the most out of them.
Thanks Dave

I would say to replace the Creative X7 with a Bottle Head Crack tube headphone amplifier.
Get a separate DAC with an optical input (Schiit Modi Uber?)
Buy a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (used and OEM is fine) and connect SB-Z's optical output to the optical input on the DAC.
So SB-Z > DAC > Bottlehead > Beyer T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back