How to use MG Head OTL?
Dec 1, 2002 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

discoman

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a MG Head OTL from a head-fier. It does not have a manual and I don't 100% sure how to use it.

1. Can I use 2 phones at the same time? (I remember it may damage the phone??)

2. When the switch is 'Trans', do I MUST use 'Headphone' jack;
when the switch is 'OTL', do I MUST use 'OTL' jack?

3. What will be the prefer settting for Grado, AKG 501, Beyer 931, AT w11r (w100), V6, ER-6 and JVC 990? (and which may damage a phone
confused.gif
)

4. I read over Nick site (Thanks Nick!), but I still not to sure which tubes I should get. With stock tubes, I found the highs is missing, the mid is great, the bass is a bit loose. The overall sound is balance, but too 'heavy' not crisp and 'airy' enough. Wider soundstage would be great. So which tubes combination I should try first?

Thanks

Discoman
ps. My MG-Head has ZERO problem!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by discoman
I just got a MG Head OTL from a head-fier. It does not have a manual and I don't 100% sure how to use it.

1. Can I use 2 phones at the same time? (I remember it may damage the phone??)
No ! But it will not damage anything. It can not use due to difference output level when use both together.

2. When the switch is 'Trans', do I MUST use 'Headphone' jack;
when the switch is 'OTL', do I MUST use 'OTL' jack?
Yes !

3. What will be the prefer settting for Grado, AKG 501, Beyer 931, AT w11r (w100), V6, ER-6 and JVC 990? (and which may damage a phone
confused.gif
)
Just try it ! No damage to anything.

4. I read over Nick site (Thanks Nick!), but I still not to sure which tubes I should get. With stock tubes, I found the highs is missing, the mid is great, the bass is a bit loose. The overall sound is balance, but too 'heavy' not crisp and 'airy' enough. Wider soundstage would be great. So which tubes combination I should try first?

Thanks

Discoman
ps. My MG-Head has ZERO problem!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Congratulations of your purchase.

How's the ER-6?
smily_headphones1.gif

I find that my lower impedence phones (Grado & Koss) don't sound as good compared with the higher ones (Senn & Ety) on this amp.

Best tube combination so far on my amp so far are, Ei Yugo EL84 (Haven't had a chance to try the JJ's yet) with Tung Sol/Sylvania 5751's or Tele's 12AU7's (haven't got round to the Raytheyon's yet, sacrelgious I know! So many tubes so little time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back