How to use headphones with subwoofer?
Aug 7, 2006 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Aryolkary

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Prodigy 7.1 LT soundcard and would like to know, how do I use headphones with a subwoofer? Is a program needed to send the lower frecuencies to the subwoofer, and how?
This would be using an active subwoofer (those which have RCA input).
I have searched a little but couldn't find much help.
Thanks

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 14
Split the signal, one into the headphone amplifier and the other into the active subwoofer.

Aug 7, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Split the signal, one into the headphone amplifier and the other into the active subwoofer.

Hi, how do I do that? That's the thread for. I use the headphone built-in amp of the sound card, which is the 7/8 channels output, but when activated (HP mode and not 7/8 channels) it is being "copied" from the 1/2 channels (meaning, whatever information is for the front channels goes to the HP also).
Thanks

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 14
in the sound card section set it to headphones. whatever jack you plug your headphones into, plug a splitter into it.

something like this

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp...ory=Connectors

then plug your headphones into one end and something like this into the other jack.

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=146

That is the easiest way to do so.

On my auzentech, even with the headphone mode activated all the connections on the card are active. so I plug my buttkicker directly into the sub out of the sound card.

the buttkicker effect is bad for music, but it can add a level of immersion with certain games. definately gimmicky, but fun. kinda like doing the macarena at a wedding reception after some drinks.

those previous links are just examples. i am sure you can find better and cheaper cables out there.

Aug 8, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 14
Liver, thanks for the suggestion.
The thing is, that the subwoofer is mono (only 1 RCA input) and I don't know if there is any stereo miniplug to mono RCA adapter. In which case, what channel would the subwoofer take? I want it to take the frecuencies of both channels (1 and 2, front channels).
Thanks

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=SEO&U=strat15

here you go, stereo to mono.

Hey Pheonix991, thanks for the link.
Then I'd need a cable that is Mono RCA on one end, and Mono miniplug on the other right? In this way (stereo to mono), are both channels passed to the mono so it receives all the information?
Also, there's that thing about configuring delay, how?
Thanks

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
Liver, thanks for the suggestion.
The thing is, that the subwoofer is mono (only 1 RCA input) and I don't know if there is any stereo miniplug to mono RCA adapter. In which case, what channel would the subwoofer take? I want it to take the frecuencies of both channels (1 and 2, front channels).
Thanks

some subs have a left and right RCA "in." they just combine the signals later.

you just need to combine them earlier. so a stereo to mono adapter would work. something like this.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2009&sku=03177

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 14
Liver, thank you. I appreciate your help.
Now, the only thing left would be the called "need" for adjusting delay of the subwoofer. I think in my case it might be more complicated since the sub wouldn't go connected to the 5 channel (subwoofer I think, being 6 the center), but rather go connected to the front channels.
As I intend to use dolby headphone (in reality, I like Cyberlink better), it has to be in 2 channel (front channels) and then the HP mode actived (which monitors or copies the information of 1/2 channels).
Maybe if I try I won't notice the delay issue?
Thanks

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 14
i don't think you will notice with headphones. this method is not a "hi-fi" system, so don't expect too much.

i like the buttkicker enough, adds a sense of immersion. but with music, not so good.

i can imagine that a subwoofer would not be that far off from what I have.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 14
Hey Liver, I have never ever seen or experienced one of those shakers or buttkickers. Don't even know if there are any here in Argentina.

Granted, connecting a subwoofer in the way mentioned isn't hi fi, but I don't want it for music, only for movies, explosions, etc.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
Hey Liver, I have never ever seen or experienced one of those shakers or buttkickers. Don't even know if there are any here in Argentina.

Granted, connecting a subwoofer in the way mentioned isn't hi fi, but I don't want it for music, only for movies, explosions, etc.

if you have the sub already then go for it. i bought the buttkicker from amazon and it works fine.

I modded it with a simplified connector and a larger, but infinitally quieter fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back