How to use E-mu 0404 USB with OS X 10.7 Lion?
Aug 14, 2011 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
As most OS X users here already know, the drivers supplied by Creative are 32-bit only. And since Lion seems to have dropped the default 32-bit support, the audio interface does not work. Having googled the net I found that when one switches the OS back to 32-bit mode, the driver works and the interface is recognized and works normally. The 32-bit application or control panel probably doesn't as it would need Rosetta emulation which the Lion does not support. But I'm not too happy with a kludge like this. What sacrifizes will I do if I force the system to run in 32-bit mode? Any issues in preformance or stability?

You know, Creative has been pretty miserable in OS X support so far. The drivers have come very late and are somewhat buggy. And according to one poster somewhere on the net, Creative support has told them that they have NO PLANS to release a 64-bit driver since the OS version wasn't there when they released the product. That is a pretty ****ty attitude in my opinion and certainly scares away potential future customers. Like me.

Anyway, does anybody know of any unofficial tweak or hacked drivers that would allow us to use the audio interface under 64-bit? And again: what will I miss if I run the system in 32-bit mode?

Thanks.

BTW, here's how to run the system in 32-bit mode:

Quote:
[size=1em] Yes switching to 32-bit solved the problem for me:[/size]
[size=1em] Here is the command for Lion:[/size]
[size=1em] [size=1em]sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386[/size][/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] to switch back to 64-bit mode use:[/size]
[size=1em] [size=1em]sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64[/size][/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] Don't forget to reboot.[/size]
[size=1em] E-mu app still doesn't work for obvious reasons but the interface appears in sound preferences.[/size]

From the thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3201248?start=0&tstart=0

Also, I found the Creative customer support reply:

Quote:
[size=1em] Thank you for contacting us at  E-MU Customer Support.[/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] This is just to inform you that E-MU will continue to support the products that we are currently shipping based on the OS configuration that were available at the time of original shipment.  E-MU will not be supporting new drivers for new OS releases from Apple or Microsoft.[/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] Regards,[/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] Arman[/size]
[size=1em] E-MU Systems Inc.[/size]
[size=1em] Advanced Technical Support Group[/size]

From https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190228?start=0&tstart=0

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
As most OS X users here already know, the drivers supplied by Creative are 32-bit only. And since Lion seems to have dropped the default 32-bit support, the audio interface does not work. Having googled the net I found that when one switches the OS back to 32-bit mode, the driver works and the interface is recognized and works normally. The 32-bit application or control panel probably doesn't as it would need Rosetta emulation which the Lion does not support. But I'm not too happy with a kludge like this. What sacrifizes will I do if I force the system to run in 32-bit mode? Any issues in preformance or stability?

You know, Creative has been pretty miserable in OS X support so far. The drivers have come very late and are somewhat buggy. And according to one poster somewhere on the net, Creative support has told them that they have NO PLANS to release a 64-bit driver since the OS version wasn't there when they released the product. That is a pretty ****ty attitude in my opinion and certainly scares away potential future customers. Like me.

Anyway, does anybody know of any unofficial tweak or hacked drivers that would allow us to use the audio interface under 64-bit? And again: what will I miss if I run the system in 32-bit mode?

Thanks.

BTW, here's how to run the system in 32-bit mode:

From the thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3201248?start=0&tstart=0

Also, I found the Creative customer support reply:

From https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190228?start=0&tstart=0

I faced the same hurdle last August when I purchased my 2010 Mac mini w/Snow Leopard. Disappointed, I switched from USB to the WireWorld Supernova 6 Optical cable. I had to use Built-in Digital Out. Then earlier this past Winter I bought a USB bridge and ran another optical cable from bridge to EMU.

Granted, I no longer used the EMU control panel but at that point I no longer cared. I actually cared more about running SL in 64-bit kernel & extensions than using the EMU control panel. I just didn't want to run out and buy a new DAC. I soon tired of the whole lack of support from Creative; bought a new DAC in May and now use the EMU-0404 USB for a second rig to import vinyl or listen to SS amp.

And what will you miss by running Lion in 32-bit mode? Perhaps, superior audio drivers in 64-bit mode? Unsure about the new Cat (Lion).

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. I really think Creative is shooting themself in the leg for giving such a bad service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back