How to use a SIM Card and activate it with a portable music player?
Nov 2, 2021 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DAPpower

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright, this is a strange question but is there a way to use my T-Mobile SIM card with any DAP via USB or something. I'm sure most DAPs aren't gonna have built in SIM Card readers but is there an external usb SIM Card reader that I can just someone plug into a DAP via USB-C?
Asking this because I want to take full advantage of my T-Mobile free music streaming with the supported music streaming apps on my music player.

Or is my phone + Cayin C9 stack the only option?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 7
Your phone stacked with c9 is your best and only option without increasing the size of your stack, otherwise a dap with wifi. Use phone with wifi Hotspot on and connect your dap to streaming services like that. Basically use phone just as a modem/router.

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 7
Your phone stacked with c9 is your best and only option without increasing the size of your stack, otherwise a dap with wifi. Use phone with wifi Hotspot on and connect your dap to streaming services like that. Basically use phone just as a modem/router.

Thanks, I guess my phone is the only way unless companies like Astell&Kern or iBasso can release new DAPs with SIM Card readers. I was only hoping to take advantage of T-Mobile's free music streaming with the supported apps like Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Soundcloud, Apple Music, Amazon Music HD ect.

Using my phone as a hotspot for my DAPs to do music streaming on the go would not count under free music streaming with my Data Plan unfortunately.

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, I guess my phone is the only way unless companies like Astell&Kern or iBasso can release new DAPs with SIM Card readers. I was only hoping to take advantage of T-Mobile's free music streaming with the supported apps like Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Soundcloud, Apple Music, Amazon Music HD ect.

Using my phone as a hotspot for my DAPs to do music streaming on the go would not count under free music streaming with my Data Plan unfortunately.
They will have to build a DAP, with Phone components, Like Antennas and other hardware that will introduce lots of noise and heat to the device, Not mentioning the battery life taking a hit.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 7

Otherwise hope onkyo make a successor for the grandbeat smartphone. That was pretty much they xdpr300 dap with Android phone added. But by now is many years old and as a it wast great even when it came out.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 7
Depends on the Telco, you can just get a compatible SIM and put it into a mobile 4G modem/router with Wifi and use it as hotspot without any smartphone.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Actually a smartphone with a decent DAC ain't the worst idea, I just wanted something that was separate from my personal phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back