How to upgrade my system for $1500 or less?? Need advice...
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Winded

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm somewhat of a newbie in the headphone world.  First I'll tell you what I own.  All current items I want to keep for various reasons, so I'd like to know how I can add to this.
Own:

Grado gs1000 headphones
sansui vintage receiver
marantz vintage recevier
fisher vintage tube receiver
two vintage turntables
one high end blu ray player

I play my cd's through the blu ray player and I listen to alot of vinyl.  I'm planning on acquiring a good phono preamp.

What would be a good headphone amp(ss or tube) under these circumstances?

I listen to mostly jazz, acoustic, some rock, prog rock...etc

My budget is $1500.

Thanks any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated.  I can't go it alone it
alone:)

Winded

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 6

None of your vintage things have a phono stage built in?  Or do you want a better one?  I do not know how good the headphone amps in those receivers are.  Models vary.  Perhaps you could share?  What is lacking?  Tell us what type of music you listen to.  How are the Grados?  Good?  Want to try something different, or are they a dream come true?  This background will help you establish what to upgrade.

Option two is send the money to me.  That will upgrade your karma, and I hear good karma produces a much cleaner sound with much better staging and more clarity throughout the entire spectrum.

-Nkk

May 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 6
First of all I would sell your gs1000's and get a set of ps1000's, lcd-2's, hd800's or he-6's.
This will make by far the biggest difference.
I would then suggest you sell one or two of those receivers as really you can't use all of them.
I would also sell your turntables and invest in something like a technics sp10 or sl1210 with a decent tone arm and something like a dl103r.
Unless they are decent turntables in which case I would keep one and add a decent tonearm and cartridge.
This plus a decent phono stage should sound great.
Personally I recently sold my entire vinyl rig as I decided there was too many downsides to it (record wear, needle wear, more expensive than cd's, very expensive, decent digital system competed very well)

May 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
A vintage Marantz receiver from the 70's would be a nice addition, say a 22XX receiver. For example I love my Marantz 2238B.

Very nice, OP some vintage  receiver's are better or equal to today's headphone amps. I'd trade the GS1000 for Ultrasone 8's and than buy a Luxman headphone amp if you didnt want to go vintage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back